TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out playing with the 96 last night and got thinking about the intake. I've opened up the exhaust, but hadn't done anything with the intake. I did some thinking and pulled the intake tube off and realized just how dirty it was inside - took it over to the hose and washed it out. While it was drying the idea popped in my head "hey.. it's just like the car itself.. you gotta wash and wax it" I know, it sounds silly - but in my boredom, I tried it anyway :D And I even had my slightly used clay bar in the house so I used it on the intake hose, then put 2 coats of wax on the inside of the tube.

Cruising around town, I didn't notice much of a difference, but on the highway... wow :eek: Nice change in throttle response. Being at higher speeds with more air flow going through the tube plus with it cleaned and waxed - it flows through there alot faster. I'm guessing I picked up 2-3mpg as well, between the exhaust and intake and I'm probably a bit high, but thinking 5-6 RWHP :D If you've got a few hour or so, I recommend this - its definitely worth it :D

-Melon

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Great idea! I'm going to go do that right now!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow, my throttle response seems much crisper! I open the throttle, and the power is just THERE!

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Ok, I was skeptical at first, but I tried this and holy crap... I didnt know there was that much grit inside the tube! I bet I got a few ounces of dirt and grit out of that tube, sounds a lot lower at wot too!

-Joel

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did this years ago to the SC & didnt notice any of this...:rolleyes: after the air goes through a blender it voids the condition of the intake tube. I will try it again & see.
one of my cars has a JLT & one is stock. stay tuned!;)

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt - did you use the right kind of wax? I've heard the brand of wax can make a difference.

-Melon

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Matt - did you use the right kind of wax? I've heard the brand of wax can make a difference.

-Melon

So, what is the preferred wax for this "mod"?

Edit: OK, looks like Mothers Clay Bar? I've never heard of it; that's why I didn't initially recognize it as the preferred wax.

IMO your air filter's not doing its job if you've got grit in your intake tube.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used liquid wax - it helps get in all the cracks :D

I managed the turn the tube inside out :) It was a real pain, but I got it.

-Melon

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Matt try cutting it in half with a plasma cutter. I did that with mine, waxed it, and then welded it back together.

-Joel

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great idea Joel - I should have thought of that.. It would have made my life easier.

-Melon

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No way man.... I'm all about waxing rubber.... wait a sec, that sounds bad.. I better leave the rubber waxing to Jason.....

-Melon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts