TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have prolly been through about 4 sets of plugs in the last 6 months. THe gap widens really quick and i would re gap, but then it gets to the point where even regapping them does not help and i end up running on 6 cyl. which is annoying for a boy with a heavy @$$ foot. The wires and coil packs are fairly new as well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but it may be a while cause of classes and the fact that it is illegal to work on your car on campus parking lots so i am going to have to go somewhere and do it but yeah i can do that

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
have you tried different heat rnaged plugs? I suspect your running a plug that is too hot or too cold.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i think she digs those red peanut butter ones but she could be partial to the black peanut ones. I dont know ill have to ask

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i checked the plugs and they are all fine. Its kinda wierd how it does it though. It has days where it runs like a full blown 4.6 then there are others where it drives like dead gum honda civic. and it seems to be good about 80% during the night time or cooler weather. Maybe humidity or something? I need suggestions. I NEED POWER!

EDIT: I am running autolite single plats

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Use the copper plugs from ford, these motors eat plat plugs.

-Miller

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright...i have since used those autolite coppers from wal mart and it has eaten those as well. I noticed that last time i changed them they had heat rings around the bottom of the ceramic. Also all the gaps were way off. I had gapped them all to .054 but when i changed them out i checked them and they were all off.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i havent looked at the current ones yet...last time when i had heat rings they were blackish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, i have always recommended the Haynes or Chilton books. i do not have the chilton, but the haynes book has everything from oil changes to overhauls, and has a page of color photos for common spark plug conditions. theey're only ~$15 and have been a great help to me for my bird.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright i finally got a chance to take them out. 6 of the 8 plugs had heat rings in the ceramic and the tips were black (at least they werent white). could this be a problem with my wires seating properly because i can only get some of them to click into place. Do i need to go to a colder plug?

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Whats the model numbers on the plug? You running a chip or a tune specified for a particular plug? How old are the o2 sensors? Throwing any codes? Is it running rough? Stock coil packs? Which wires are you running?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Why are you running 180 stat if your car isn't tuned for it? Black plugs would be fouled and you need to see why if they are stock heat range and fouling. Any other mods that aren't listed in your sig?

B

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the plugs are the copper core ones you get from wal mart (i was eating so many decided to go cheap). no chip or special tune. I got the 180 t-stat when my stock one went out. MSD coil packs about 1 year old. New OEM wires about 1.5 years old O2 sensors are fairly new about 2 years. No codes. It ran ROUGH AS HELL before i changed out my plugs the other day.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Still got the stock Coil packs? Maybe try switching back with the new set of Plugs, see if you get a different result.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
no replaced the stock coil packs with MSD about a year or so ago. I have tried different plugs all witht he same result..should i try a step colder? Because most of the plugs had heat rings around them. Or could this just be the fact that i cant get my wires to click into place

1 - 20 of 35 Posts