TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the TrueTrac device to the TractionLok device in the MN12 and/or FN10 cars?
I have a chance to get an Eaton TrueTrac and I have a Mark VIII aluminum case to put it in.
We want to put together a race day/track day setup with the aluminum case.
The iron case with 3.73 and TractionLok is our street setup.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,588 Posts
Is that the torsen style? I've heard they are really nice, but other than stock f-body set-ups, I don't have much experience. They were really good in 4th gen T/A and Camaros.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,483 Posts
Here’s a big old thread on SVTp that discusses some of the cons with the true trac.

If you’re still building the car for top speed it really doesn’t matter what you’ve got back there. Personally I have never been able to justify the expense over the Ford Trac Lok setup, even though a Torsen remains on my wishlist (along with a Kenne Bell, Delrin bushings, forged wheels and a paint job, eg the nevergonnahappenyacheapskate section of the list lol). Set up the clutches in the alternate stacking or at least use the thickest shim packing (if you can’t find any good used extra clutches for the alternate), and be sparing on the friction modifier they work pretty well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the link. My searches did not turn that one up.
In this case price is not a consideration. (The first and likely last time that ever happened)

To answer the your ponderance, yes it is going to be land speed applications.
I suppose I also could consider using the stock open 3.08 gears that came in the aluminum housing for pure speed.

The TL unit I have works. I packed it myself with a new carbon fiber clutch pack. The various opinions on stacking were interestingly conflicting.

I will read the linked info.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here’s a big old thread on SVTp that discusses some of the cons with the true trac.

If you’re still building the car for top speed it really doesn’t matter what you’ve got back there. Personally I have never been able to justify the expense over the Ford Trac Lok setup, even though a Torsen remains on my wishlist (along with a Kenne Bell, Delrin bushings, forged wheels and a paint job, eg the nevergonnahappenyacheapskate section of the list lol). Set up the clutches in the alternate stacking or at least use the thickest shim packing (if you can’t find any good used extra clutches for the alternate), and be sparing on the friction modifier they work pretty well..
The primary complaint seems to be noise.
The benefits seem to be that it stronger, smoother, gets better traction,and is maintenance free.

So, for a track setup it seems like a good plan to use the TrueTrac with non-synthetic oil as soecified and keep the TL in the street setup.

Our only way to test the car is to use the drag strip, so we need the LSD.

Prior to the traction Lock, my car was not capable of leaving.
It either spun one wheel forever or the Traction Assist would shut it down if engaged. The TL unit changed the car dramatically for the better, ditto for the 3.73 gear set

At the very least, it's a good LSD for a bargain to me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I’ve had experience with Traction Loc (stock on my ‘97), Torsten T2 (which I ran for 10 years), and Eaton TruTrac (which has been in my car since the new motor went in five years ago). I put the Torsten in after the factory Unit wore out, and it performed well for a long time. It eventually got noisy, and I didn’t think it would hold up at the 500+ RWHP level. The TruTrac works similarly to the Torsten, but is more robust. It has also gotten noisy, but continues to hold the power and provide good traction.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate you all taking the time to share.

I decided to leave my cast Iron street setup as it is now. 3.73:1, and the carbon fiber Traction Lok. I have had no issues so far beyond the traction assist function in the car.

I am undecided about the race setup using the aluminum housing with an open carrier and 3.07 or .08 ring and pinion I have from the Mark.

For land speed, would an open carrier have an advantage over an LSD device?

Should I make plans and start looking for more gear like a 2.73 or lower numerical? We may get to the backside of the power curve without enough gear to keep it near optimum rpms without enough final drive.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
How fast are you trying to go, and on what surface? Also, what distance will you have for acceleration? If you are going to the salt flats, I would think traction may be an issue. But on a paved surface (road or runway) it will be less so unless you only have a mile to get up to speed and must use maximum acceleration.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Are you running a mile or a half mile track?

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts