TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly dumb question but whatever. When you place a bid on something and submit it, how does a person place a higher bid on it in less than a second. I didn't thing it was possible for any human to type in a higher bid and submit it within a second that you do.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
OK , someone bidding on the item had a higher max bid .

So you didnt beat he's higher bid.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
its automatically done thru ebay that person has set a higher bid then you have

like you bid 24.99 as the most you want to bid and they bid 26.00

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
SCTbird1994 said:
Ebay automatically bids on behalf of the other bidder up to their high limit.

- Dan
I thought that WAS proxy bidding.

·
8,239 Posts
ebay uses proxy bidding which means that a person only needs to put in a maximum bid, and ebay automatically bids up to the maximum price.

If you throw in a bid for 5 bucks with one second left, and someone had already bid a max of 6 bucks the first day, they will win for 5 bucks and change, whatever the next bid incriment is.

Also some people like myself don't throw up an early max bid like ebay wants you to do.

You can get sniping programs that will bid with less than a second left on the bid clock. This is good to not draw attention to an item by throwing in an early bid with the hopes of people not driving it up.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
There are programs for that? LOL And I've been sitting around waiting for just the right second to bid. :D

·
8,239 Posts
Traveler said:
There are programs for that? LOL And I've been sitting around waiting for just the right second to bid. :D

Just google for ebay sniper.

Some of the good ones are pay per bid, you get 3 bids for a buck or something.

I'm glad they came about, because there is nothing i hate more than having to sit in front of the computer and wait for an auction to end when I have stuff to do.

Half the time I'd forget and lose the item.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It says on the page where you are placing the bid, to put in the maximum amount you want to bid. I always put it in my watched things, and see where it goes, then I wait til the auction has about 2 minutes left on it. If it doesnt go over what I am willing to pay, or is sitting close to it, I always go $5 or $10 higher, depending on what the auction is for. I usually win :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts