TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the ECM on my 95 Thunderbird is going out. First the cooling fan stopped coming on all the time. At first it would come on then go off real quickly. I could hear the relay clicking very quickly like the power was being reapplied constantly. I replaced the PCM Relay Box and Cooling Fan and still had the same issues with the temp going up. I checked all the wiring and everything looked fine. I even hooked up a scan tool to check the temp to make sure the sensor was fine. On the scan tool the fan status would be on, but it really wouldn't be on. The fan is now jumpered to come on when the key is in the run position. So at least it's not going to overheat if I decide to drive it a short distance. Now I've also been having problems with the torque converter engaging and disengaging at stop lights causing the car to stall. This can be really annoying when coming to a stop quickly. Colder weather seems to make the problem worse. Other than these issues the car runs great. Hopefully someone has seen issues like this and knows where to find another ECM.
Thanks,
David

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
check the voltage drop on your ground wires....a faulty ground can wreak havoc

I dont think the torque converter can lock in 1st gear...I have heard from many sources that it's hydraulically impossible for it to lock in 1st gear...not to mention the fact that there is no lockup table in the pcm itself from which to command such a lockup

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I got my '95 ECM from car-part.com for $50 when mine went out...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the grounds and tested the engine harness. Everything appeared to look good. I did find with the trans issue, that the trans cooler lines are blocked. It looks like the blockage is in the radiator. So maybe the issue with the trans is low line pressure at idle while in gear. I'll see if rerouting the the lines straight to the trans cooler fixes the issue or not.
Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fixed the cooler line issue. Trans is working great now and also no more stalling. So now to find the cooling fan culprit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts