TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I just recently inherited a 1996 Cougar XR7 in excellent condition.

I replaced the battery last week, and now the car is completely drivable and running great, but it will need to have a smog test before I can transfer it over to my name (it has been certified as non-operational, and only driven sporadically, although extremely well-maintained, for the last eight years).

After disconnecting the battery, how many miles do I need to drive it, or how many on/off cycles will I have to perform, before the ECM is completely reset to the point where I can successfully perform (and hopefully pass) a smog certification test?

Also, the gasoline remaining in the tank is probably over two years old, although you would never know it as the engine runs very smoothly - I've put around 50 miles on the car this week and it is running like new. Will the old gas have an effect on tho outcome of the smog test?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Old gas shouldnt make much difference .. just get it up to normal operating temperature and drive it on the freeway for a little while at normal cruising speeds and drive around town for a bit, most of the PCM's internal emissions monitors should pass fairly quickly.

You need to pass all of the monitors except for one to pass smog in Ca.

They run under certain operating conditions and various RPM's, so its not an exact number of miles, but a "drive cycle" you need to complete.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to pass all of the monitors except for one to pass smog in Ca.

They run under certain operating conditions and various RPM's, so its not an exact number of miles, but a "drive cycle" you need to complete.
Thank you SCTbird1994 for the prompt reply.

Is the "drive cycle" something that I can find online, or will I need to refer to the service manual for that information? I haven't purchased a copy of the factory service manual yet, but that will be next on my list.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Excellent!

Thanks to everyone for the assistance and support!

:zbeer:
You should be OK after a few drives like mentioned above - if you have a scan tool available you should be able to check the monitor completion status .. or if youre ever in the south bay, San Jose area on the weekend I could check it for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts