TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the ecu went out in my car for some reason. I got a new one from RockAuto because no junkyard around seems to have any tbirds or cougars. However, my question is I have a SCT chip for my car which I kind of need to keep my car from running rich. Can I use it in the new ecu? The new one has no numbers or anything on it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The chip "should" override all programming in the ECU.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The chip "should" override all programming in the ECU.
A chip will overwrite the tune in an ECU but this will only work correctly IF the new ECU uses the same strategy as the old ECU.

Multiple ECU "catchcodes" can use the same strategy but this is by no means guaranteed. In my own experience, I was given a random chip that was supposed to work with a 3.8L N/A ECU and it caused all sorts of bucking under partial throttle; clearly the chip didn't work well with my ECU but no permanent harm was done (I think damage would be highly unlikely unless the engine was put under load and even then, you'll know if it's not right way before that point)

My personal choice would have been to buy an ECU of the same catchcode off of eBay or here with some kind of guarantee from the seller vs. the random reconditioned stuff from rockauto.
-g

1 - 4 of 4 Posts