TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... after many $20s goin down the drain to purchase these things.. i bought 4 new O2 sensors from ford, had them put in, disconnected the battery, had the codes wiped again... and guess what????

the SES light is on again... go to autozone, now the 136 and those are gone.. all that are left? 8 codes, 4 key on engine running, 4 key on engine off

1-2 O2 sensor heat circuit malf bank1 sensor 1
3-4 O2 sensor heat circuit malf bank1 sensor 2
5-6 O2 sensor heat circuit malf bank2 sensor 1
7-8 O2 sensor heat circuit malf bank2 sensor 2

IAC new**, TPS new*, cleaned MAF*, all 4 O2 sensors new

**runs a little better, idle smoother, doesn't rev as high on startup or general revving, rpm doesn't go way up when slowing down and tranny downshifts
*better throttle response, especially from TPS,

as far as O2 sensors thing. had to fill up at 240 miles this time.. but with 16 gal. this brings it closer to 15 mpg.. i usually avg 17-18 w/ ac on. I don't think cats are going yet because it shows sensor 2 codes (post cat)

and FYI.. according to Ford Service, they have never heard of anyone changing 4 O2 sensors on a thunderbird. they claim there are only 2.. wtf?

LMK what you guys think.. sorry for length.. getting frustrated.. and i hate paying for computer diagnostic that shows everything ok, then when you drive away, lite comes on in 5 min

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
jamesD said:
and FYI.. according to Ford Service, they have never heard of anyone changing 4 O2 sensors on a thunderbird. they claim there are only 2.. wtf?
They've never seen a 4.6L Thunderbird before?? LOL

Sounds like theres a loose ground somewhere maybe? It's hard to say, but if all the heater circuits are failing that's where i'd start. there is a connector my ford manuals show, passenger side right by the cowl that contains wires for all the O2's... C168 for those of you with manuals. It's the only one with all of the O2s in one spot, so its a starter. Good luck

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a Haynes manual that doesn't show that.. that i know of.. where exactly is it?

JD

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
jamesD,

Read through this diagnostics routine. See if it helps any.

(Check PM also).

--Pete

P.S. I was checking the wiring diagrams, and the C168 connector referred to in the previous post doesn't show on the 1997 list of connectors.

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.. ignore the PM.. it works here.. ????

i am going to give the shop sh*t cuz they charged to replace the sensors, and on the bottom says "includes pinpoint test"

lying sacks of shiznit :diablo: :evil3: :cbones: :zsoapbox:

the mechanic is cool, he hooks me up when he can, but the shop owner is really really bad... really cheap, charges for the smallest thing

mpg is crap now.. barely get 15... i might as well drive my nova, at least that sounds like it uses that much gas..

btw Nova still for sale, i dropped the price, need money for something IMPORTANT, like school stuff PM me for info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts