TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making an Excel file of possible mods/costs/difficult/ and horsepower increase.

Is the chip from MN12 performance the best deal?

Could you give me the possible benefits/disadvantages from having this chip in the computer??

I kind of need this data for my spreadsheet:

Possible Performance chips
Cost
Difficulty of Installation
Possible Horsepower increase

I was reading the information from MN12 Perf. and I just don't understand 1/2 the crap it says.. Like the spark count at certain RPMs and what not. Please help!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update... I have read the tech articles.. I'm still confused. Sorry

·
Registered
620 Posts
You're making a spread sheet to decide? That's a little more complicated than necessary. The four companies listed in the tech articles make the best chips for our cars. They all use the same program created by the same person.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm making a spreadsheet of all the mods I am going to do.

I have a goal of 230 RWHP and a 1/4 of 14.5 to 14.

I have fields for each mod:

Cost
Possible HP
Difficulty of installation
Where to get it
What does it do

There are almost no HP numbers for what the chip gives you.. The only thing I noticed was to fool the computer about 29 volts or something. It's really over my head.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
I'm making a spreadsheet of all the mods I am going to do.

I have a goal of 230 RWHP and a 1/4 of 14.5 to 14.

I have fields for each mod:

Cost
Possible HP
Difficulty of installation
Where to get it
What does it do

There are almost no HP numbers for what the chip gives you.. The only thing I noticed was to fool the computer about 29 volts or something. It's really over my head.
230 isn't hard to do at all. Few mods and a custom tune and your good to go. SCT (superchips custom) has hands down the best tuning software out there. If you want to be able to tune the car, that is the way to go. But it's a $800 package. Otherwise I'd get a chip from a company using the SCT software. But the #1 option is a tune from the SCT guys on the dyno, there IS NO substitute for that tune.

I'm getting tuned in a few weeks, I'm hoping to be around [email protected] And I have basically every bolt on. With more aggressive cams, I could probably crack [email protected] no problem, and I might swap the cams out later this year, still trying to figure out the longterm plan for the bird.

[email protected] is easy to do though, but it's obviously gonna cost some money. And it doesn't do any good to beef up the engine if your drivetrain can't handle it. You should be able to do alot better than a 14 sec 1/4 with [email protected] I believe JL was low 13s with less power than that. (Could be wrong, you'd have to search the forums for his results).

Big ones to get there:
80/85mm MAF
PI cams
PI intake
TB/upper intake
U/D pulleys
J-mod the tranny
new TC (help with launches)
MMX shaft (cure driveline vibration)
FRPP 3.73 rear end (trak-lok)
SCT tune

P&P NPI head will definetely get you there. Otherwise you can swap PI heads, which will bump the compression which will help out as well, but you can't blow the engine with the raised compression, so it depends on your long term goal.

I used to have an Excel sheet to keep track of what i've spent money on, once it passed $2k, i stopped using it. :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That still doesn't answer how much HP the chip will add to the car.

Also about how exactly to tune it...

So what chip do you recommended for the 97 and where can I see a page about it?

Thanks for the other ideas too!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
That still doesn't answer how much HP the chip will add to the car.

Also about how exactly to tune it...

So what chip do you recommended for the 97 and where can I see a page about it?

Thanks for the other ideas too!
Realistically, chip = no HP. A chip is going to much for a stock engine. Chip with MAF will add a bit of power. But you're going to notice the difference in shifting/shift points with the chip.

"How to tune" is not something you can just explain. Unless your using the SCT software, it's gonna be alot harder to tune.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
read this thread:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=277664#post277664

since our cars are nearly identidal, that is what you could expect to see w/o any bolt-ons.....the more mods you do to iincrease airflow in/out, the better your results can be

also the HP/TQ increase only tells about 1/4 of the story........your car will never be the same after it

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Dom @ rffperformance.com
Brian @ apten-us.com
Dennis @ reinhartautomotive.com
Pete @ Fordchip.com

Thats the deal on chips. There is a new custom unit from superchips for $800 but just for starting out you dont need that.
Something to be aware of... Depending on what mods you have planned you might need the chip re-burned which will cost a couple extra dollars when the time comes. If you are planning on doing a mod that needs a certain tune soon after a chip then I would wate on the chip and do it when you get that mod. There are a few like that, like if you have 3.08 gears and go to a FRPP 3.73 + unit.

Forget superchips (as far as a chip goes), and jet chip and all those others. You dont want them. These chips mentioned above are all using the same program. Its basically just a choice of who you want to do it. Maybe someone is near you which would be cool too. They can all tell you more about the chip if you call and just talk to them.

I think they all range around $200-300. The are not difficult to install. Look here. And they dont add too much HP. They just do a lot of things for the engine and trans in a safe way that will increase over all performance.

good luck with your goal. A tip that might help, is take it one step at a time. It's good to know that if you did on mod and something is wrong you know what it is. If you do 5 mods and then try driving the car and something is wrong you will have a harder time figuring out whats wrong. Then last but no least. Just have fun with it. Thats the number one thing for me. I do some racing at the track and I cruise around just enjoying my bird.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good call! That is the ultimate goal, is just to enjoy the modding experience. I don't plan to do 3 or 4 mods at once.. Ever.

I was planning to do the following mods before a chip:

Filter / Air intake
Tranny Cooler
J-Mod
Performance Plugs / Wires

Then the Chip.. Then...

True Duals
Stereo System
Torque Converter
and the 3.73's (debating)

That's in order

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The 3.73s is a good and popular choice. Its not too much for the street for most people like the 4.10s are but its better then the 3.55s if you still want to get as much as you can out of the rear end.

The gears and ture dual exhaust might need a chip reburn. But if its a year or ever a 6 months or so down the road then it might be ok to just ge the reburn. But if you plan on doing say the exhaust a month after the chip then thats where you might want to hold off on the chip. The exuast might need a tune to get rid of the sensor readings that might through codes with most true dual setups. You can ask the chip person about that when you call to order.

You have a good list of mods to start out with before the chip. The intake is simple. Just take out the silencer and put whatever you want in there after that. (Cone filters might need a heat shield if the filter is in the engine bay). The tranny mod and cooler is one of the best things you can do for the car. And for the plugs and wires, I would wait til the chip and do it at the same time. Your chip will most likely be programmed to run a certain colder plug. And you can get perfomance wires but many say that the regular motorcraft are great. I have FRPP 9mm plugs because I got them before I heard that suggestion but I like them, and they are Ford Blue ;-)
Oh yeah, and you might want to think about a GTMAF. Our MAF is small and the GTs have a nice working larger one that requires to be programmed in the chip to use. So many people figure to do that when they get the chip since it needs to be programmed for it too.

best of luck on your mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts