TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing the MN12 Tbird thing now for over 10 years. I've had 2, and teenage drivers and deer just keep jumping out in front of me.

My first was a 93 5.0, the second was a junked 93 3.8 that I swapped the 5.0/AOD into. That was a chore, but it ran like a top. 70mph into a deer later, now that 5.0/AOD is sitting in the shop floor ready to go into my 83 F-150 (carb truck).

I've got the mechanical stuff figured out (motor mounts, driveshaft, fuel pump/lines, etc.), but I'm about to dig into the harness. I'd like to just use components out of the 93 harness to make my own standalone that only operates the EFI, rather than drop $500+ on a new one.

It seems to me, just looking at the painless standalone harness that the only things behind the firewall are the fuel pump power, the neutral safety switch, and the barometric sensor (where exactly is that?). I'm planning to wire to the existing check engine light in the truck.

My questions are:
  1. Are those the only things I need to worry about not in the engine bay? (I'm doing smog & A/C delete)
  2. How to indicate shift position (thinking reverse lights) for that AOD?
  3. Is there anyone out there who has done this kind of thing?
I'm a newbie at creating posts, hope that is enough info.

·
Super Moderator
7,696 Posts
I have done this type of swap a number of times, and if you take your time, it is easy. Here is my advice. Look at the pinout at the ECM and go through it pin by pin. Every wire will be one of 5 possibilities; needs constant power, needs key on power, needs ground, needed to operate the engine, or not needed to operate the engine. As you go through the pins, first look for everything that needs key on power. Gang all those wires together, run them to a relay that is switched on with key on power. Next take all the constant power wires, and run them through a fuse to the battery. Next, take all the ground wires, gang them all together, and run them to a good ground. Now that leaves you with the wires you need to run the engine, and the ones you don't. Obviously wiring for things like fuel injectors, distributor, IAC, TPS, etc all need to stay, so don't mess with those wires at all. Anything you are deleting, like if you are deleting AC, or EVAP, or anything like that, now is the time to remove those wires from the harness. If anything goes to something that you don't have on the engine but will need, like vehicle speed sensor for example, make sure you have the other end of that wiring, or if not, modify the harness to add that wiring in while the engine and harness are out of the car. This way, when the time comes to drop it into the car, you will literally have only 3 electrical hookups to make for the whole EFI system.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those who spied this post, this swap is done. Took the truck to the gas station on its maiden voyage yesterday.

Since the truck had a 302/c6 before, the 5.0HO/AOD dropped right in. It was sweet. The only physical issue was the smog pump (and that part of the accessory tree) had to be removed/cut to clear a cross-member. I did a bunch of custom wiring and used parts from about 5 (6? 7?) different vehicles to make it happen.

If anyone has questions or wants pictures, info... I'm happy to fill in where I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts