TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a bad EGR valve cause the car to run real bad?
i got my codes read at Ford and i have went down the list replacing everything possible besides the EGR which i am going to have the dealership replace on monday....
its running horribly rich, and my exhaust is spitting out water with what looks like to be carbon on the ground.

Is there anyway to tell if the cats are clogged? i have to figure this out real soon:confused:

·
5,650 Posts
A bad EGR valve can make the car run bad if it's stuck open. If it's stuck open, the car will idle very poorly and there will be reduced power and fuel economy, and the engine will most likely run rich. If the EGR is stuck closed, the car will run fine but will have reduced fuel economy. But the computer will sense very quickly if either condition exists if all the sensors are working properly. The pressure feedback sensor monitors pressure in the exhaust and detects a change in pressure when the EGR valve opens or closes. This pressure in conjunction with data from the oxygen sensors will pinpoint whether or not the EGR flow is as desired.

If the cats are broken up and your exhaust is plugged up, you may hear a rattle coming from under the car. The cats might also glow red after the car has been on for a while, and you'll definitely notice a lack of power. The car will also tend to overheat easily under heavy load, such as going up a hill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.