TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check eng light, dealer wants to replace egr valve and DPFE Sensor (what the heck is that) for $1600. Is this that tough a job? Anybody have any experience with changing egr valve or DPFE sensor. Help! :confused:

·
Registered
850 Posts
beckhousehold said:
check eng light, dealer wants to replace egr valve and DPFE Sensor (what the heck is that) for $1600. Is this that tough a job? Anybody have any experience with changing egr valve or DPFE sensor. Help! :confused:
WHAT? :eek:

I got the DPFE sensor replaced on my '97 4.6L at the dealer for just $160.00 about 2 yrs ago (parts + labor)

I don't think replacing the EGR valve itself costs 1600-160 bucks !!!

DPFE is the Differential Pressure Feedback sensor (I think?) to the EGR.

Take it to another dealer.
do you know what the code exactly is?
many codes related to EGR just needs the replacement of the DPFE sensor, like it was in my case, so I would definitely get a 2nd opinion.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
$1600 is completely insane. It really isn't that hard to change the EGR valve, and it's pathetically simple to change the DPFE.

-Rod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed answer. Unfortunately, i neglected to get the codes. I will take to another source for a second opinion after i replace the egr valve. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Greetings,

I used the search to resurrect this thread. I am curious as to where the DPFE sensor is on a 94 3.8. I had the car in the shop complaining of a miss (turned out to be bad wires). They suggested that I replace the DPFE. I think I can do it myself for less than the $200 they want for it, if I can find it.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
IIRC, the 94 would have a PFE sensor, not a DPFE. It would be a gray square sensor with one vacuum port and one electrical connection, and should be located on the passengerside of the firewall.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts