TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first I have to ask is there a straight forward approach to the egr on the 95 model with out unbolting the intake and the tube from the exaughst.

the second question what is the head bolt size I forgotten the size it takes.

I am tempted to start pulling off parts and replace the whole intake and replace it with the doorman one.

to have it at least updated till he wants it to go to a pi head and intake setup.

I was a little rough with mine when I started to pull and every thing to get the egr and tube off

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
EGR problems on a 95 are almost always the port getting clogged up between the inlet elbow and the intake manifold. The manfold itself doesn't need to come off, but the inlet elbow does. Easiest way is just remove the whole wiper cowl assembly, then you have a decent amount of room to see down there and get to the bolts. It should be 4 10mm bolts holding the inlet down, and once it is off, you can see all the carbon and crud in there that will need to be cleaned out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the thing is he is thinking on putting the npi 96 intake manifold on and capping off the egr tube.

I just found out about it when I got off the phone with him.

isn't there two ten mill bolts holding it on?

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Yes there are 2 10mm bolts holding the EGR tube to the intake, and then it is a large nut that threads onto the exhaust manifold that will be a PITA to get off. Keep in mind if he does that, he will have a check engine light, unless he gets a tune to turn it off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he found a 96 t-bird today at the u pull today.

I am still trying to figure out how to take the other one off of the intake.

just to pull off the intake to get at least started in the right direction.

my brother took the other one off when I was at work on mine when I did the swap I didn't see how he did it.

I am trying to figure out how to get his off of the intake.

as well with out hurting the heads and the limited space from the fender and the manifold when I am going to try to get the tube off.

first thing is would it be better to take the egr off the intake first and work around it till its time or try to take off the tube from the manifold?

also how would I get the egr off it seems like it is meant to be there forever with out messing with it.

It seems like one of the bolts is hidden or seems like it is hard to get to the one on the left the right is a little better to get to but the left is a little tricky to get to

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
You can remove the intake manifold from both the 95 and the 96 with the EGR tube in place, if that is what you are asking. You just have to remove the alternator, which is much easier. As for unbolting the EGR tube from the manifold, there is no good way to do it, and in the junkyard you may not even be able to do it because every one I have done required being heated up with an acetylene torch. It may actually be easier to just take the whole exhaust manifold with the EGR tube still attached.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wish I was there when my brother removed mine when I was at work he has the same 95 cougar and needed the tube so he could get emissions done when he went back to Virginia.

there is pretty much next to zero movement from the inner fender and the engine.

how would some one get that off to begin with. with out a engine lift or a lift it self with out removing the manifold

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just kind of tempted to cut the thing and finish up the job and take it to some one to put the other tube on the car for him.

I tried to remove the nut from the manifold it didn't want to come off of the manifold. tried to soak it for 6 hours with pb blaster penetrating lube but no prevail

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
I must be lucky, I've never had trouble loosening EGR tube nuts, I've had to loosen a few at the junkyard up here as well(stupid trucks run the tube over the valve covers! :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so no tube. that's what in a way I am thinking temperarly get every thing buttoned up for him and have a shop swap the tube for him.

but I have a quick question though not knowing how my brother got mine off? still wondering???

how did you cut yours? there is small area there where the tube is.

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
I cut the stock tube, I didn't say I didn't put a new one back on. I used a hacksaw with a coarse blade to cut it off. The proper way to do it is to drop the exhaust and use a 1-1/16 wrench on the nut to get it off in tact, you'd have to do that anyway to get a new tube in place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you use the blade or with the saw handle as well?

I didn't know you could do that.

thank you for the info and the help

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
To cut it? No. Honestly just because I cut mine doesn't mean I recommend it, I only did it out of haste since at the time I hadn't planned to drop the exhaust, and in the end I inevitability had to anyway to install the new 96/7 tube (I did this from the bottom, no other way).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok I got the egr off but the tube still will not budge.

even with being soaked with liquid wrench and pb blaster nothing happened.

I might have some one take it off and swap it after I replace the intake to a pi intake.

wish he had the money to swap the heads to the pi heads as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts