TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing the 90 degree elbow directly beind the TB. Anyone know anyway to get to the back passenger side 8mm bolt? it is looking like i am gonna remove the windsheild washer assy. any tips would be appreciated, its my sisters car and my job to keep it running.

no check engine lights, it had a vaccum leak on the rubber tee for the passenger PCV, i replaced that, i swapped my IAC from my 95 with this car and no luck, ive sprayed down the entire vaccum system countless times, cleaned maf, unplugged battery and cleared the computer, i am stumped.

help. i know the lead ford mechanic at my local ford and i am always bothering him also so i have a real good tech support team, tccoa and a lead mechanic @ a dealer.

~ryan

·
Registered
367 Posts
well i have the same car. i used a 8mm with a wobble and a long extension, but its alot easier to remove the cowl, it's only like 6 phillips screws.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it off with some weird 8mm wrench, now on to removing the egr

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn this is alot harder than i thought. the service manual I have says 95 but its showing a 96-7 intake with the egr right up front. you dont need a manual for that one, but the 94 is wayyyy in the back. this is a pita.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yea, I’v read that some people just take the whole damn intake off. Probably actually faster that way lol.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
damn this is alot harder than i thought. the service manual I have says 95 but its showing a 96-7 intake with the egr right up front. you dont need a manual for that one, but the 94 is wayyyy in the back. this is a pita.
Yeah, my "factory" service CD shows the same thing. I guess the factory wants to forget about that PITA design.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup and i just talked to my mechanic who works @ ford who is a friend of mine, and he says you can just put a wrench (21mm i think im not sure) and unscrew the bottom part of the pipe from the exhaust manifold but i still dont see how to get to it without removing the a/c accumulator or maybe going underneath the car, but i cannot see how that would be possible.

im gonna go try out these crow's feet ive got and keep my fingers crossed. ive been working on this one every day for like 4 days when i get home from work and im just tryin to get this over with. ive only got 1 more thing to unscrew and this egr is off. but its inaccessable. :(

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finnally got the f'ing egr off. it took a 1 1/16" crow's foot and a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter, a 3 inch 3/8" extension, and a torque wrench. Do not unscrew the pipe at the egr, unscrew it at the exhaust manifold. You will have a really hard time alligning the egr pipe when you go to put it back on b/c the pipe has a weird angle to it and you must get it right (from what my ford mechanic tells me). When you take off the tube you should mark the pipe with a magic marker where the casting line is (you will know what im takling about if you get the part in your hand, that is if your man enough :D) otherwise alligning it will be a pita, even more of a pita than it already is. man i want to smack the a hole who let this egr setup hit production. hit me up for tips, someday when i get the time ill make a writeup.
~ryan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tested the egr valve and its working fine. i cleaned the egr passages in the intake. they were caked with carbon buildup. the throttle body seemed very dirty so i cleaned it out, even though it says right on it not too. I dont care. The throttle body was very hard to move. The butterfly seemed to be sticking when i tried to open it. I had to turn it very hard and then it popped open. I used some brake cleaner and sandpaper and cleaned the TB up pretty nicely and it seems to have much nicer action. I am thinking that the IAC wasn't strong enough to open the butterfly slightly to keep the car idleing. I am going to get all the new gaskets i need tomorrow and put this thing back together.

Is the gasket that sits below the 90 degree elbow for the intake reuseable? It is made out of metal. And whats up with the EGR gasket, it looks like lead or graphite or something.

I really hope that this sticky TB was the cause of the bad idle, it does seem to be a likely cause. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

BTW, does anyone know how to clean the EGR? b/c the one Ive got is working fine I figure I should clean it if possible b4 reinstalling it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do not unscrew the pipe at the egr, unscrew it at the exhaust manifold. You will have a really hard time alligning the egr pipe when you go to put it back on b/c the pipe has a weird angle to it and you must get it right (from what my ford mechanic tells me). When you take off the tube you should mark the pipe with a magic marker where the casting line is (you will know what im takling about if you get the part in your hand, that is if your man enough :D) otherwise alligning it will be a pita, even more of a pita than it already is.
~ryan
If you're having difficulty aligning the tube with the opening on the manifold, just take the tube in your hand and slightly bend it at the accordion portion till they are aligned enough for you to tighten the fastener down without difficulty.

BTW, I don't recommend screwing the EGR tube fastener down tightly. It can be put on finger-tight and stay sealed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts