TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for the guy's that have done the egr removal. i was wanting to block off my egr. putting a block off plate on it. but my main question is, what do you do with the lines and sensors? do u just plug the lines and disconnet the sensors?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the DPFE that registers the pressure drop within the EGR tube has to be left in place on the two hi-temp silicone hoses so as to not encounter exhaust leaks....of course you could always cap them off one way or another to not have to leave the DPFE sensor on there.......if you do leave it on, it wont hurt to leave the electrical harness connected....either way it will throw a code and the check engine light will come on.....now, the [typically] green vacuum hardline that goes to the top of the EGR valve must be capped off if you do not currently have a tune to turn the EGR off.....this is because the EEC will still be commanding a certain percentage of EGR to be introduced into the manifold, and the vacuum regulator solenoid will try to expose a vacuum source to the EGR vacuum line....but since the EGR is not physically there anymore, the vacuum line will introduce unmetered air and hence be a vacuum leak leading to poor drivability and startup problems

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks , so basically what your saying is i should wait to do it? until i have a tune for it, so i dont have poor drivability? because i heard of removing this you can actually gain some power. is this true?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Leave it on. Its not hurting anything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Taking it off won't hurt driveability, but also won't gain you a ton (or really any amount) of power. I used a blockoff plate and capped the EGR tube when I swapped a Cobra intake manifold onto my '97 Mark VIII. It took about 3 weeks for the computer to throw a code, but it finally did and was "Insufficient EGR Flow." Lonnie from Blue Oval Chips wrote me a program that disabled the EGR system, which should make it inivisible to both the computer AND the emissions test systems, but I have yet to load it so I'll let you know how that goes. If your engine is stock and you don't have any other major mods, just leave it on there. You could probably improve how the system works by pulling off the EGR valve and cleaning it out, as many people have reported that the valve and EGR passages in the intake manifold have become fully clogged with carbon over the years.

The potential power gain would come from decreased intake temperatures due to the lack of hot exhaust gases being allowed into the intake instream. The inside of the intake manifold will also stay much cleaner when the EGR system is removed, because with the exhaust gas recirculation also comes carbon soot which is what gums up the passages and intake ports.

But, like I said, unless you're doing some serious intake mods and it will be more difficult to leave it in than install it, just leave it be. Do check all passages to be sure they're not clogged.

-Dom

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
its only when you dont cap off the vacuum line going to the EGR valve will you have drivability problems because it would turn into a vacuum leak otherwise

you could always just unplug the vacuum regulator solenoid and that will instantly negate any and all EGR requested by the EEC.....a code will set, but you can always plug the electrical harness to the solenoid back once again, and reset the code if you need to get inspected

1 - 6 of 6 Posts