TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure there's probably a thread for this somewhere but i have a check engine light coming on... the egr position sensor has been replace but the egr valve is still stock to my knowlege. my question is will this screw anything up if not replace immediately... and what exactly does the egr do or control?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The EGR takes the unburnt fuel/air mixture and sends it back to the cylinders to be reused. This improves gas mileage and the overall efficency. You don't have to replace the EGR valve now but you may want to clean it out and the passage leading to it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
There's no way in the world I would pull an EGR valve off a 94/95 4.6L and NOT replace it with a brand new one!! Such a PITA to get to on the early 4.6L's. :redmad:

The bad part is that some of the passages are in the manifold (actually they are sandwiched between the head and the intake) so to properly clean the whole EGR system you really should pull the intake.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
stupid question here.. but just food for thought.. if i pulled some of the vaccum lines going to the egr and sprayed some "deep creep" seafoam in there would it clean it out somewhat?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
stupid question here.. but just food for thought.. if i pulled some of the vaccum lines going to the egr and sprayed some "deep creep" seafoam in there would it clean it out somewhat?
Nope. The vacuum lines are all on the backside of the diaphragm. So none of the cleaner would get to the part that passes the exhaust which is what clogs up.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Nope. The vacuum lines are all on the backside of the diaphragm. So none of the cleaner would get to the part that passes the exhaust which is what clogs up.

that sucks:(... thanks for the answer though:thumbsup:

·
5,650 Posts
The EGR takes the unburnt fuel/air mixture and sends it back to the cylinders to be reused. This improves gas mileage and the overall efficency. You don't have to replace the EGR valve now but you may want to clean it out and the passage leading to it.
Let me fix this for you. The EGR system takes burnt (inert) air/fuel mixture and sends it back into the cylinders to effectively reduce the displacement of the engine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm so basically what you're telling me is that the bad or clogged egr will not damage the motor in anyway in the near future but should definitly be replaced in let's say the next couple of months?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i just had my egr go bad and it was SIGNIFICANTLY screwing up my driving... the car would buck and hesitate... new egr fixed it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts