TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am wondering if this will work fine? I remember reading, I believe it was JustinH, say that the sport struts/shocks work well. I have eibachs sitting in my part collector on the side of my house waiting for installation. I am wanting to upgrade the worn out shocks but dont want to spend big money on a car I dont really like :) For all 4 shocks/struts I can get the sport ones for right around 200... What do you guys think?

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
I believe sport shocks have been discontiued. They have been replaced by Lx part numbers. I was under the impression from Dan Newman that the ones delivered to my door last week were one of the last sets in the country of actual sport parts. I know he had to get one from California and one from Michigan before shipping to me.

Also I paid 180 shipped to my door from Dan.

-Miller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
180 shipped to your door for all 4? He quoted me roughly 200. He also told me the rears had been replaced by LX numbers but the front ones were still the "sport" ones. So given that, still worth it?

Sam
 

·
Amateur Expert
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
slayer said:
180 shipped to your door for all 4? He quoted me roughly 200. He also told me the rears had been replaced by LX numbers but the front ones were still the "sport" ones. So given that, still worth it?

Sam
I believe Miller is right about the rears, but the fronts are still available - I just got mine this week after my parts guy found some. I got both fronts for $110. I think the sport shocks are a great upgrade from the traditional marshmallows. I'm getting new fronts because the current ones have 40K on them and I'm disassembling the front suspension for our GP springs. I will let the used fronts go cheap if you want to get a feel for them before buying new ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I am gonna wanna do it twice. I will have the front apart for the eibachs sitting on the side of my house. I have just been debating between a koni, bilstein, etc.... Or the sport shocks. I think I am just gonna get them and see. I could swear someone on hear had done thise, I will search tomorrow. Thanx for replies.

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
I am sure some one has but I know the Eibachs have a 1.5-1.75" drop compared to the GP springs' .75-1.00". Stock shocks tend to where out faster under teh increased stresses of large amounts of lowering. I went with the sports because the Bilsteins hade been discontinued, I have heard bad things about the Koni's shock-to-shock rate consistancy, and the drop with the GP springs is not real major.

-Miller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
miller1995 said:
I am sure some one has but I know the Eibachs have a 1.5-1.75" drop compared to the GP springs' .75-1.00". Stock shocks tend to where out faster under teh increased stresses of large amounts of lowering. I went with the sports because the Bilsteins hade been discontinued, I have heard bad things about the Koni's shock-to-shock rate consistancy, and the drop with the GP springs is not real major.

-Miller
who was complaining about the consistancy of the Konis? I have them, if someone cant calibrate 1/2 turn at a time, they shouldnt be driving.

joseph
 

·
Fry Rice Specialist
Joined
·
4,794 Posts
how about monroe sensatrac and eibach?
or maybe eibach with autozone's thunderbird's shock???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
The Great Obucina said:

who was complaining about the consistancy of the Konis?
I have heard it from people who work in the industry and make there livelyhood off of designing and marketing shock absorbers. Yes, the konis are a nice shock because of the adjustablility, but to me its not worth it to pay all that money without getting quality equal to or higher than Bilstein (what i originally wanted till they were discontinued). Also compare how many OEM's use Bilsteins and Koni's, very few use Konis. This is just what I have heard and read and how I made my decision.

-Miller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
OK, I know this has no doubt been debated since this board began, but my question is a bit more specific than the usual argument...
Given that Bilsteins and Konis are probably the "creme-de-la-creme" of shocks for the MN12, how does a Tokico rank as compared with say the Sports, LXs, KYBs, Monroe, etc.?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top