TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short I've traced the noise I've been hearing to the electric fan behind the radiator. The fan has play in it and vibrates/makes noises when it comes on. I've checked autozone and advance and several local on-line used parts houses and $100 and up seems to be the going price. Is the bearing around the motor shaft (I'm assuming this in the problem) replacable/repairable? I, like millions of others, am out of work at this time. I have to keep it running on very limited funds. A second question; how long can I run this way before the motor/bearing completely drop dead?

I recently upgraded my front calipers to the dual pistons from a 2000 Mustang GT. While not what I was hoping for I can now let my wife and son drive it without worrying about them driving up someone's tailpipe. If anyone has any questions about this operation let me know. Lord knows others have helped me many, many times over the years.

thanks

Red

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
car-part.com should be able to get you one pretty cheap.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Run it until it starts running bad, stalling or catches on fire. The latter is usually with older cars.

I just replaced the motor in my 90 SC and it was a pita. I had to make a 2x4 wod box 7" ID (you can go smaller) square to put the motor in and soak in the motor shaft in a WD40 soaked rag for a few days to get it off... ;)

Typical Ford motors...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys! Found a motor/shroud assembly locally for $45. Had the two mounting tabs broken off but the motor was tight. Drilled out the rivets and replaced them with 3/8x1 1/4 bolts with nylock nuts. My shroud and the "new" motor -- works like a charm!

Red

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Good point, I think the nylon locknuts will be ok though. I would have done blue loc tite myself also. If he has any problems, he will hopefully notice before it becomes a problem (trashed radiator). ;)
-Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts