TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare 89 Super coupe from my M5R2 swap on my 92 5.0 Sport that i just finished and i was wondering if i could swap over the electric fan from the 89 super coupe to replace my clutch fan on my 5.0, and what kind of wiring would be needed.

thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
It can be done, but because of the size difference between the 5.0 and SC radiators, it isn’t exactly the cleanest install, and it will require custom brackets to mount the fan to make it work. If you want a factory looking install, get a radiator and cooling fan for a 94-97 V6N/A tbird/Cougar as that will bolt right in and work with the 5.0. As for the wiring, start with something like this;
The sensor grounds out when it hits 180 degrees, so just mount that in a coolant port in the lower intake, and wire from the battery through a 40A fuse to pin 30, pin 87 to the power wire on the fan, key on power to pin 85, and pin 86 to the sensor that comes with the kit, and then run the ground wire for the fan to a good ground.

·
Registered
684 Posts
And then you also need to figure out how to wire it so it kicks on with the AC.

I just put an aftermarket fan on my 93.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,512 Posts
It can be done, but because of the size difference between the 5.0 and SC radiators, it isn’t exactly the cleanest install, and it will require custom brackets to mount the fan to make it work. If you want a factory looking install, get a radiator and cooling fan for a 94-97 V6N/A tbird/Cougar as that will bolt right in and work with the 5.0. As for the wiring, start with something like this;
The sensor grounds out when it hits 180 degrees, so just mount that in a coolant port in the lower intake, and wire from the battery through a 40A fuse to pin 30, pin 87 to the power wire on the fan, key on power to pin 85, and pin 86 to the sensor that comes with the kit, and then run the ground wire for the fan to a good ground.
Any reason not to use a fan from a 4.6?

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
Any reason not to use a fan from a 4.6?
No, the fan from a 94-97 MN12 is the same regardless of whether it is a 4.6 or a 3.8NA. However the radiator from a 4.6 won’t work with the 5.0 because the 4.6 uses an expansion tank with no separate radiator cap. The rad for a 94-97 3.8 MN12 is dimensionally identical to the stock 5.0 rad, except that it has the mounting points for the electric fan. That is why for simplicity sake I just said get all parts for a 94-97 V6.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the fan from a 94-97 MN12 is the same regardless of whether it is a 4.6 or a 3.8NA. However the radiator from a 4.6 won’t work with the 5.0 because the 4.6 uses an expansion tank with no separate radiator cap. The rad for a 94-97 3.8 MN12 is dimensionally identical to the stock 5.0 rad, except that it has the mounting points for the electric fan. That is why for simplicity sake I just said get all parts for a 94-97 V6.
I just came upon someone selling parts from a 95 5.0 mustang and they have an electric fan and a bunch of other parts and i think stock headers, would that fan work with my car better? Also would the headers fit? Not sure if they’re stock but they dont look bent like stock ones. They also have a lower and upper intake are those any good?

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
Fan no. Headers no, not without significant modification. Intake is the same as what you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts