TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeremy and I installed the electric fan on his car. We ran into some problems taking off the old fan, but ill let him explain that one. Here are some pics of how i wired the fan and how we mounted it.

We routed the wires from the fan, under the car, and through the wheel well. I drilled a hole near where the cruise control module is, and routed the wires through there. I then ran the wires under the dash and to the center console area, where they connect to the switch. I grounded the switch out on a bolt under the dash. We used 10 gauge wire for the fan connectors, and 14 gauge for the switch ground. I tried using 16-18 gauge for the switch ground, and it kept burning it :)

The switch controls the high speed on the fan. I wired it to the battery, so he can turn it on even if the car is off, incase he wants to use it at the track. He wants another switch for low speed control, so we already have the wiring in place for it.

We mounted the fan to the radiator with a series of wire ties. Wasnt hard, just had to be creative on how we tied them.

Fan doesnt seem to take up too much power, his lights dont dim bad when its on at idle, even with the underdrive pullies. The fan definetally cools better with this fan he said.

More pics will come when my camera quits being gay.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Is that switch as a override only. You did, or will wire in an adjustable electrical thermostat to control the temp, correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeremy only wanted the manual switch. He didnt care about the fan turning itself on. Only thing im worrying about is the switch burning out. I think we need to put a relay or fuse in there.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Damn Mark, post before me why don't you... :) Anyway, yea, the fan also has a low speed setting (running high all the time right now) so I want to get a three way switch.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Also I'd keep an eye on those zip ties I wouldn't trust them to last too long against the edge of the metal on the radiator.

Just a heads up.

-Josh

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yup...especially the white ones, they are usually not for outdoor use. The black one's are typically better but I've seen them dry up and break as well...that's good advice, didn't really think about it when I first saw the pic.

Which fan is that? Anyone have any luck with a Black Magic fan?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just got metal brackets today to replace the top plastic ties. I'm going to work on those now. :)

The fan is just something I picked up in the junkyard when I was searching for a power window motor. I wanted a big fan 16"+ and this one measured at 17.5". $18.

·
Registered
489 Posts
the black majic fan didnt work worth a hoot on my car in the TX heat, it would stay at 190-200 with a 180 thermostat, and no a/c. With a 4.6 stang fan it stays between 180-175 and 190 with the a/c on

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Skidonenko said:
the black majic fan didnt work worth a hoot on my car in the TX heat, it would stay at 190-200 with a 180 thermostat, and no a/c. With a 4.6 stang fan it stays between 180-175 and 190 with the a/c on

Josh
190 to 200 is fine, even the stock electric fan doesn't come on until around 212 or something.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I really wish I had a digital display or even a better gauge for temp. I just go by the basic NORM reading. :) If it hits N, it's HOT.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Anyone know how many amps these electrical fans pull? I installed a relay today and took out the switch but the relay died on me (I think). The fan just stops working after about a minute or two at idle. The relay was rated at 30 amps, how many amperes is enough?

·
Registered
489 Posts
i had a self resetting circucit braker that was rated at 30 amps and it would pop then i stuck a 40 in and it was fine, also i used 10Ga wire

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ha! 30 amps!

That is about a 1/3 of what it pulls when it first kicks on, the initial kick on can draw as much as 100 amperes. I'm using a 75 amp Bosch relay right now, so far it's doing fine, but Lonnie said his 75's burn out after a while, I guess time will tell, I don't drive my car much so it's hard to figure out how long something will last. When it does burn out I'm getting the Stinger 200 amp relay, it's like $50 but you wont' have to buy anymore relays. By the way the 75 amp Bosch relays are about $29.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Since you got your fan from the junk yard, it all depends what car it was for. They go from 15 amp, to 75 amp for a MarkVlll fan. If you cant see a data plate on it with the information, you may have to put it back to the switch you had, and get someone to amp probe it. They can then tell what it draws. Some of the larger ones , like the MarkVlll draw high amp getting started, then drop about 30-50%. If you have one from a MarkVlll, you will need a 75 amp relay. Get it tested running, and at startup.

·
Registered
232 Posts
where can you get those 75 amp relays? I have the Mark VIII fan and I go through relays like Sh*t through a goose.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I plan today to go pick up three new 30's so I can run a daisy chain to take care of this. Just means more wiring though. Oh, and what electrical wire did you all run it from so that it is hot on run?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've got the MK8 Electric fan.. and it's not an understatement when I say, it can suck small children against the radiator.

We wired it using a relay... I originally had the fan turn on by itself at 170 degrees, but when I discovered the fan would turn itself on when I was barreling down the track, I turned the adjustable tstat up to 200 degrees to keep it from kicking on without me flipping the switch. It's nice to be able to control when your car cools off, and it does an awesome job of it! I think if the fan was taking spark from the plugs it was drawing so much power, and putting a drag on the alternator. My stock alternator has an underdrive pulley on it, and it barely produces enough power... but it gets the job done. In the future when I have a little extra money I'll get a 150amp to keep everything powered.

We used twisty ties to hold it to the radiator... and I'm going to look into metal connectors... I've heard horror stories of the fans snapping off the radiator.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just bought two more 30 amp relays today and two fuses to protect my precious relays. I'm going to install them tomorrow sometime if I can. Before I put those in though, I want to see if I can find a 90 amp relay around here for cheaper than $17. :) I'll show pics of my brackets holding the fan in if I can.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts