TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower can I reclaim by converting from a thermo clutch fan to an electric fan?

How much increase in mileage can I expect to see?

I have an 89 with the 3.8L.

Thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
good question..........i've got a 93 and i'm wondering the same thing. hope someone can help us out.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
minimal... you're not really adding horsepower, just freeing it up.. maybe 1-2 horses? about .5-1% gas mileage increase if that.... but, imho. it makes the engine bay look prettier....

·
Registered
958 Posts
free up gas mileage........at 200-250 a tank (16-18gal.) i need all i can to up my mileage

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Like previously stated, it won't be anything drastically noticeable in performance. I switched out my clutch driver fan for an electric fan out of a 4.6. I got a fan controller from dccontrol.com. I haven't had any problems with it, and am happy with how it performs.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Good thing is, if you have a custom exhaust setup, you can rev it and not hear the clutch fan go as well!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I switched out my clutch driver fan for an electric fan out of a 4.6. I got a fan controller from dccontrol.com. I haven't had any problems with it, and am happy with how it performs.
how hard is it to put the 4.6 fan in on the 3.8 rad.? i'm currently running a clutch assy on my 94 (didnt come that way, but electric fan almost caught fire) and i'd like to take that crap off. a friend has a 94 xr7 thats he's gonna junk so i could grab one for the free. i'd just like to know how much modding is involved.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I'm tempted to ditch my clutch fan, but then there'd be empty space and that just wouldn't look right. :) I need to add something...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
like... two more cylinders???

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I'm tempted to ditch my clutch fan, but then there'd be empty space and that just wouldn't look right. :) I need to add something...
umm, why not an electric one??

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
jco1385, seeing as that your car came stock with an electric fan...it would be a simple bolt on/plug in.

-Rod

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread, but at what temperature does the stock fan kick in at? Thanks.

I had the electric fan on my 94, but it didn't want to come on; either that or I didn't wait long enough. :D So I put on a clutch fan. I manually powered the fan and it works fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts