TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. i need your help on something for anone who has a cougar/thunderbird or mark 8 with either 3.8, 4.6, 5.0.

did you convert your belt driven fan to electric fan?

what source or where did you make your connection's?

was there a little or big difference what was the difference?

the reason i'm asking these question's 'cause my dad think's that i'm going to screw up my car my doing this procedure.
just figure
i passed my electrical system course from lti. i guess i'm paying them for nothing. :ztoohot: :bawling: :boom: :redmad: :rant: :zsoapbox: :zsoapbox:

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
You can't comvert you belt driven fan to electric, you could replace it with an electric version though. The 4.6L's come with electric fans. The 3.8L has a clutch on the fan anyway. There's really not a good reason that I can think of to do this. If you can go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed a Flex-a-lite FLX-150. It was great in the winter and spring, but not when the temp reached 90. It's now on the shelf in my garage. I thin the big problem is design. The shroud covered only about half the radiator. Think it would have worked if the shroud was about the size of the original.

·
Registered
150 Posts
An electric fan frees up a little HP but more important, it saves space. My 97 had to have a new motor a while back. It caused all kinds of funky things while out. I eventually traced it to a relay. Since then I have studied the service manual and it turns out that the cooling fan is tied to the computer and anytime the AC is on the fan is on. My model doesn't appear to have a Tstat control either. I assume it takes info from the brain. I would try Summit Racing or Jeggs and try an aftermarket setup for the same size and weight as you vehicle (Mustang V8) and go with it. Remember, at some point you may need to up the altenator, especially if you have rocking stereo.

L. Thomas
97 Tbird Sport
134K and still flyin'

·
8,239 Posts
Any way to install a switch to run the fan when the car is shut off? This would be useful at the track. Only thing that might worry me is killing the battery.

Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts