TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok yet another delema with my wifes 3.8 t bird ok what im wanting to do is replace the electric fan with a mechanical fan ive found the reverse rotaion fan at summit and the spacer i will need thru jegs 3/4" input water pump shaft, does any one know of any fore seeable problems i might run into on this switch....Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
477 Posts
Why would you go to a mechanical fan? The powerloss as well as mpg loss will be noticable.

Will

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Thats the reason I went from clutch to electric.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well when i bought the car it seemed to be running a lil to hot and the fan wasnt coming on at temp so i replaced the temp switch still didnt work,then i put a 180 thermostat not knowing that id have to change some chip fo the fan to kick on at 180 so i just figured id go with a mechanical fan that way ill have a piece of mind,im not worried about the power loss it's my wifes car lol

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
To answer your question, go to the local junkyard and look for an 89-93 3.8 tbird/cougar and take the mechanical fan, fan shroud, and the longer bolts that hold the fan onto the water pump and bolt it on. However, from the sounds of it, I don't think you really have any problem. If your car stays at 180 without the fan on, then you don't need it in that particular circumstance. If it starts going above 190, then the fan will kick on like it originally did and bring the temp back down to where it should be. If the fan doesn't come on at all and you don't feel like tracing out the wiring to find the problem, you could always get an aftermarket thermostatic switch and run power through that to the fan. and keep the superior setup of an electric fan.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks for the info good idea ill wait till weather warms up and see what it does go from there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts