TCCoA Forums banner

Electric water pump?

606 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  smokymance 
#1 ·
Would it be worth the $$$ to buy an electric water pump? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an electric one?

#2 ·
The Meziere is the only one I'm familiar with. It seems to have a good record for reliability, and it's suppoedly worth ~10hp so it's a decent mod. If you decide to do it, I would suggest a way to monitor the pump's activity. Wouldn't want it to fail and not know...:leftright

#3 · (Edited)
I've had mine for a year now with no problems. I'm very happy with it. 55 GPH flow rate provides excelent cooling on the street and at the track. As far as power goes Mezier claims 10-15 horspower and at least that much torque. I don't have a dyno sheet to verify that but I will say i felt a bigger increase in power through out the rev range with this pump than I did with the Steeda pullies. Plus no charging and overheating problems unlike with the Steeda pullies. If you buy this pump do not connect the power wire to the alternator like the instructions say. Connect it to the battery. Connecting anything to the alternator will cause it to stay on continuosly and eventually fry it. I pointed this out to Mezier but i don't know if they ever corrected the instructions. As far as reliability goes they wont last as long as a regular pump but all pumps eventually do fail. The pump on my old engine failed with out leaking any antifreeze or steam. i knew something was wrong when the temp gauge started flying towards red so I pulled over and called AAA . The impellar blade had separated from the shaft!! It took me just 30 min to replace it. Try doing that on a 5.0;) So just keep an eye on your temp gauge, in fact keeping an eye on all your gauges should be a habit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.