TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, new-ish member, first post.
I have a 97 4.6 T-Bird with an electrical issue that I am completely stumped by.
The radio, power antenna, switch lights and power windows will all become actively powered by moving the harness near the e-brake pedal. This happens with the key off and removed.
If I reach under the dash and move the harness a bit to the left all of the above will turn off. If I move the harness a bit to the right they will repower again.
With all the wires/plugs going into the fuse panel and secondary junction panel it's damn near impossible to isolate which wire(s) are causing the issue. It seems to be a short to power(?) even though I've never heard of such a thing recently.
Anyone else have something similar happen and of so, what did you do to fix the problem. Any suggestions and/or fixes would be appreciated.
One last thing. I bought the car from a consignment dealer in Detroit a few months back and according to the title and odometer it only has 20,xxx miles on it.
Seems awfully odd for something allegedly that "new" to have this kind of issue, but then again, QC back then was hit or miss at best.
To be fair, I wasn't the one who discovered this, the guys installing my remote start did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on my experience with car repair (mechanic) I wouldn't expect this type of thing to happen at all, and yet, here I am with this...
Based on what I was told by Mike (the installer), this issue was discovered before they even started any work on the install. In fact, he called me to ask if he should even proceed with the install just in case it might make the matter worse. I asked him about whether or not it looked like the wiring had been tampered with previously and I was told that the harness looked to him to be untouched. I have had several high dollar stereo installations and remote start systems done by these guys in the past and from what I can tell, unless Mike was having an extremely off day, the install is not at fault.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad splice from a previous aftermarket installation, too. Somehow battery power is getting somewhere without having to go through the ignition switch. Did Mike take off the panel at the base of the steering column for the installation? If he did he probably would have spotted any short circuit wiring, that's where I would look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check into the possibility of a bad splice and/or connections as soon as I get the car to work and have access to my tools.
Thank you both for the suggestion. And if you have some other ideas as to what it might be, I'd appreciate those as well.
I'll let you know what, if anything, I find.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,456 Posts
Have you got the EVTM? You could look for a common set of wires on those circuit to see which are likely involved, to at least help you narrow down the search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a copy of that as yet, any ideas where or even IF I can find/purchase one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts