TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got my car back from replacing the fuel pump but im having a serious issue. I drove it home and the electrical power was slowly dying. The check engine light came on, my radio died, My tach died, my wipers slowed the low fuel light came on, even though I had half a tank, and the car soon died. It wouldnt start back up because it acted like the battery was dead even though all my accessories and lights were as bright as the battery being normal. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and started it up again and it came on like nothing was wrong, then it started doing the same things again. The battery light doesnt come on indicating the alternator is bad, and the starter isnt hanging or anything. Could the fuel pump be hooked up backwards? Is it even possible, depending on where it grounds to that is. I thought it was weird that the low fuel light came on even though it had half a tank when all this was going on.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could the mega fuse be bad? It seems like somethings either using up all the power somehow or its not charging the battery back up? I thought about it for a while and after a while batteries will go back to 12 volts if they are discharged for a while if they arent bad. None of the fuses in the distro box are blown BTW. Shouldnt the battery light come on though? As for the SES I have no idea....

just need some help guys:(

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Sounds like your fuel pump was installed with something similar to those cheap azssssssss blue connectors found in SCP.com kit. And no You can't hook it up backwards, there are only 2 wires you even mess with when you pull it out of the tank, ended up soldering them and heat shrinking them. And a poor ground is easily possible but I changed my fuel pump with not any experience other than reading tech articles. The only trouble i had was some cheap s\~\it "shrink tubes" that weren't shrinking. They burned instead! No good! The rest was easy though, did you see it the fuel pump before it went back in the tank? Maybe the harness at the top of the tank has some bad connections. Isn't all the clear looking slime a sort of corrosion inhibitor or electrical grease, maybe thats the source of trouble. It sounds like a electrical gremlins are spreading, good luck with stamping them out

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
voltage is as follows...

Car off: 11.5 volts
Car on: 13.99 volts
All accessories on: 13.45 volts
After running for an hour, and an hour afterwards (w/ car off) 12.55volts
No voltage dropoffs like before.

Runs fine now, no problems at all. I reset the computer and the light never came back. Splattered, I think you are right about the grounding issue about the pump. It was a Master from advance, so it was probably cheapo connections. Im probably going to stop there on the way to work tonight to see what the connections look like. After thinking about it I could have done it myself, I have the factory, Haynes, and the EVTM manuals, would of given me an excuse to drink some beer:D

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
It wouldnt start back up because it acted like the battery was dead even though all my accessories and lights were as bright as the battery being normal. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and started it up again and it came on like nothing was wrong, then it started doing the same things again. .
My first guess would be a bad battery terminal/loose connection to the battery. Inspect, clean, and tighten the terminals before doing anything else.

·
3,868 Posts
voltage is as follows...

Car off: 11.5 volts
Car on: 13.99 volts
All accessories on: 13.45 volts
After running for an hour, and an hour afterwards (w/ car off) 12.55volts
No voltage dropoffs like before.

Runs fine now, no problems at all. I reset the computer and the light never came back. Splattered, I think you are right about the grounding issue about the pump. It was a Master from advance, so it was probably cheapo connections. Im probably going to stop there on the way to work tonight to see what the connections look like. After thinking about it I could have done it myself, I have the factory, Haynes, and the EVTM manuals, would of given me an excuse to drink some beer:D
Why drink beer when you can get high off those gas fumes. I lost a lot of brain cells that day. There really isn't anything else to screw up except maybe the seal at the top of the tank not sealing. I hope it doesn't give you any more troubles because its a headache in my case to do it. Hot+open gas fumes=headache. Read the mn12performance tech article to see how its done. I followed that.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
you shouldn't try to get high off gas fumes on purpose lol but i have gotten stoned out of my mind just doing regular maintenance in poorly ventilated areas by accident lol, I am sure I lost a lot of braincells, too

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I lied, it is not fixed. I drove it to work tonight with just about every accessory on, about halfway through the trip everything started to get really really dim. It seems like the alternator is putting out just enough juice, 12.5v or so to keep the battery light from kicking on. When the engine cools down it will be back to normal, but once the engine warms up it will go down again. Im probably going to take off the alternator later and get it checked. Id really hate to start anything with my dads buddies, but this is just getting tiring.

·
3,868 Posts
Well I lied, it is not fixed. I drove it to work tonight with just about every accessory on, about halfway through the trip everything started to get really really dim. It seems like the alternator is putting out just enough juice, 12.5v or so to keep the battery light from kicking on. When the engine cools down it will be back to normal, but once the engine warms up it will go down again. Im probably going to take off the alternator later and get it checked. Id really hate to start anything with my dads buddies, but this is just getting tiring.
I learned If you want it done right. Do it yourself. I learned that the hard way as well. I don't rely on anyone's help for anything thats possible to do myself. A fuel pump isn't hard, just a bich because of fumes. I'd replace the alternator to avoid smelling the gas, I hate it that bad. just my 1 cent.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I told them that a bad ground from the fuel pump was causing it to do what it was doing. They didnt seem to believe me giving me the statement "If the ground was bad it wouldnt even turn on" They said they'd check the pigtail though and if need be put a new pump in because that one might be defective. I told them if they did i wanted to solder the connections and make it right.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turned out to be the alternator, Got a 200amp one off an expedition with 30k miles for the wonderful price of FREE!:cool:

·
3,868 Posts
Kick ass glad you didn't have much trouble. And I was informed that there is only one way to do the fuel pump right. Solder and shrink tube or else ka-boom. So that was motivation enough to go that route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts