TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe are going to kill me.

I've been spending money to lower my consumption but the rate increases are going faster than I can keep up.

I expect $700.00 monthly bills next year. Incredible.

Our area are pointing to gas prices being that much higher, but if you look at historic data on natural gas the 6.00 7.00 or even 8.00 price has been around for many years. Even as far back as 2002 (I didn't look further).
Our fuel factor adder has almost doubled from this time last year but the cost of fuel hasn't.

Albeit gas was trading at some 11.00 recently but they announced the increase when it was at the 8.00 range. Will they need to revise?

Looks like the litigation costs are driving some of the increase here. Reliant took a loss third quarter because of aying out some $250+ million to California.

So what is everyone else seeing?

My average price for kWh is 13.4 cents going up to 16.0 cents shortly.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Gotta love fossil fuels, and nuclear! I just paid 4.8 cents/kWh.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can your rate be so low?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
we are at "$.0327/kWh"

bullsh!t.... like i believe what Progress Energy has to say

·
Registered
927 Posts
rbrown said:
How can your rate be so low?
Our electricity is mostly generated from coal and nuclear, with a small fraction of hydro electricity thrown in.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Don't even get me started on electricity rates. My most recent utility bill had my city's new rate increase on it. We went from paying $6.22 to $39.80 per 1,000 kilowatts. Thats a big fuking increase, all because of natural gas prices. My utility bill doubled from the previous months bill.

On top of that, they have ****ty *** service. The whole city is going nuts over the increase, and rightfully so.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Aaron K. said:
Don't even get me started on electricity rates. My most recent utility bill had my city's new rate increase on it. We went from paying $6.22 to $39.80 per 1,000 kilowatts. Thats a big fuking increase, all because of natural gas prices. My utility bill doubled from the previous months bill.

On top of that, they have ****ty *** service. The whole city is going nuts over the increase, and rightfully so.
yikes! 540% increase...how did the town's/state's government allow that? i know up here in jersey/pa if a utillity wants to increase it's rates it needs to get approval first, i don't see how such a large increase could be allowed, but then again they're half what i'm paying

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should correct myself on my price.

The price is right now .134 per kWh. So using 1856 cost me $248.70.
It will be .16 so that same bill will be 296.96. However the summer is what will stink. I think the thermostat will have to be bumped a few......

·
Registered
116 Posts
The price of electricity is not going to go down.
The best way to lower your bill is reduce the amount of electricity you use.
Here are some suggestions.
Convert to compact flourescent light bulbs.
Use ceiling fans and turn the thermostat up.
Install a programmable thermostat.
Close the window blinds to reduce sun load.
Buy new energy efficient appliances. So Cal Edison even pays you rebates to do this.
Turn lights and computers off when not in use.

If you do all that and still want to go further then install a solar system. Some states will subsidize up to half the price of the system.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Royalblu said:
The price of electricity is not going to go down.
The best way to lower your bill is reduce the amount of electricity you use.
Here are some suggestions.
Convert to compact flourescent light bulbs.
Use ceiling fans and turn the thermostat up.
Install a programmable thermostat.
Close the window blinds to reduce sun load.
Buy new energy efficient appliances. So Cal Edison even pays you rebates to do this.
Turn lights and computers off when not in use.

If you do all that and still want to go further then install a solar system. Some states will subsidize up to half the price of the system.
Installed a new 13 SEER AC unit. Need more insulation in house.
We could really use new windows and doors.
However:
We are here all day, with 2 kids.
4 computers run all day, Server and color laser 24 hours. (this is an extremely warm room)
Pool pump.
Appliances are about as efficient as you can get.
It really boils down to heat gain and loss. These windows are real bad.

But like I said, we have been spending money to decrease use/loss. Just doesn't seem to ever get caught up.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
FWIW I switched all my lights to compact flourescent, and it did make a dent in the usage. Wattage will usually be 1/4 to 1/3 of incandescent. Usage habits are the big thing, and it's tough for you since you are always home. I use a programmable thermostat to cut usage while I'm at the office. My furnace and water heater are propane, so they are cheap to operate. You can check out your ductwork for leaks, these TX houses are built so cheaply I bet you find some.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kdanner said:
FWIW I switched all my lights to compact flourescent, and it did make a dent in the usage. Wattage will usually be 1/4 to 1/3 of incandescent. Usage habits are the big thing, and it's tough for you since you are always home. I use a programmable thermostat to cut usage while I'm at the office. My furnace and water heater are propane, so they are cheap to operate. You can check out your ductwork for leaks, these TX houses are built so cheaply I bet you find some.
Boy didn't we find leaks. There are areas we cannot get to though.

Yep gotta find a way to cut down. I think Nickelodeon needs to shut down a few hours a day.....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
im glad we arent the only ones that have to suffer with retarded energy costs. Nonetheless, its a bunch of crap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts