TCCoA Forums banner

Should I get the E-ram?

  • Go For It

    Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Leave It Alone

    Votes: 47 94.0%

  • Total voters
    50
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E-ram

Has anyone ever heard of this and is this worth putting in to our cars? It seem like a quick way to pick up a few ponies in the top end. IDK I could be wrong what is ur opinion.:confused:
 

·
Gauge master
Joined
·
884 Posts
It's not a bad idea. It works like a supercharger in the fact that it rams more air into the engine. The bad thing is that it cannot move enough air and bring the boost pressure up to say 6 psi. 1 psi isn't really going to add too much. In order to do that, the DC motor would have to be relatively large. That would create quite a drag on the electrical system.

Look at a Vortech or Paxton type centrifugal blower and you will see how massive it is. These blowers even have an internal gear drive to increase the speed of the impeller. Look at the size of the belt that is required to turn the blower. Compressing air takes some HP, and also generates heat.

Turbochargers have to spin at speeds of up to 100,000 RPM to get 15 psi or more of boost.

This is similar to "boosters" that you can install in your ductwork at home to assist airflow to help heat or cool a room.

This is nothing more than an axial discharge fan that mounts in the intake tract. Probably wouldn't do much, although they have customer write-ups about the improvements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Hey, J-Rob........

J-Rob said:
yea, i wouldnt touch that with a stick. waste of money. waste of time. waste of effort
I'm afaid you're going to have to lighten up with
the attitude......new members have opined that, telling
it like it is, is "harsh"........LOL:p
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,208 Posts
Re: Hey, J-Rob........

MagerThom said:


I'm afaid you're going to have to lighten up with
the attitude......new members have opined that, telling
it like it is, is "harsh"........LOL:p
As my father always used to tell me "The truth hurts, deal with it." :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Actually, Scott....thanks for

scotthrbacek said:
It's not a bad idea. It works like a supercharger in the fact that it rams more air into the engine. The bad thing is that it cannot move enough air and bring the boost pressure up to say 6 psi. 1 psi isn't really going to add too much. In order to do that, the DC motor would have to be relatively large. That would create quite a drag on the electrical system.

Look at a Vortech or Paxton type centrifugal blower and you will see how massive it is. These blowers even have an internal gear drive to increase the speed of the impeller. Look at the size of the belt that is required to turn the blower. Compressing air takes some HP, and also generates heat.

Turbochargers have to spin at speeds of up to 100,000 RPM to get 15 psi or more of boost.

This is similar to "boosters" that you can install in your ductwork at home to assist airflow to help heat or cool a room.

This is nothing more than an axial discharge fan that mounts in the intake tract. Probably wouldn't do much, although they have customer write-ups about the improvements.

.....the thoughtful write-up. Your presentation of the "facts"
was well thought out and should be helpful those new to these
ideas...as long as they're willing to listen to what you have
to say.

Apologies from the ole' guard....we just end up with a short
fuse with some of this foolishness that's has been beaten to
death on our old boards 'til the subject is barely recognizable
anymore... :p
 

·
Gauge master
Joined
·
884 Posts
Sometimes I do ramble on, and people do have to realize that some things do have to be taken with "a grain of salt".:)

I thought that the idea could be good, but looking deeper into the process, it would take a large electric motor to build up enough boost to match an AED system (yes, that's a different type of air pump).

I started to look into designing something that would mimic the operation of a centrifugal supercharger, but, with electronic controls, you would be able to "dial up" whatever boost you would like. But, like I said, the fan would have to have a monster motor to drive it. It would probably be relatively noisy and bulky.

It's a neat concept.

Sorry if I ramble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so.......

Its just not a good idea, huh?..... It looks like it would be a nice addition to a cold air intake. has anyone ever seen this thing in action b4?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
Re: so.......

Willow9238 said:
Its just not a good idea, huh?..... It looks like it would be a nice addition to a cold air intake. has anyone ever seen this thing in action b4?
i saw one of these in action on a V8 SHO, it showed absolutely no improvement in quarter mile time. it actually slowed it down on a couple runs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Well.....the idea's okay

it's just that that technology can't deliver
(see what scotthrbacek wrote). As I recall
you're supposed to use two of those motors
for our engine size....not cheap.

Ya know, if I had a bone stock 'Bird - hadn't
loosened up the intake in ANY way and didn't
want to touch a bolt on the engine AND I could get
it for.....oh, $50 - I MIGHT think about giving it
a try, but even then I wouldn't be holding out much
hope.

I THINK SHO's breath a bit better than our stock
engines so I'm not surprised this kit was worthless -
I just wonder if it might have any positive effect
where poor intake plumbing was involved.

Yeah, I know - probably not.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,921 Posts
The only "electric" supercharger that I've seen work "somewhat" had a 2hp 12DC motor spining the compressor side of a T4 turbo and it was tested on a stock V6 pickup of some sort, actually made around 3-4psi of boost, down side is that it sucked 60-70amps of electricity and It needed to be plumbed into the engines oiling system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Yeppers......I guess that 'bout sums it up....

rancherlee said:
The only "electric" supercharger that I've seen work "somewhat" had a 2hp 12DC motor spining the compressor side of a T4 turbo and it was tested on a stock V6 pickup of some sort, actually made around 3-4psi of boost, down side is that it sucked 60-70amps of electricity and It needed to be plumbed into the engines oiling system.
I remember some electrical engineer somewhere else on the web
doing the straight math calculations and his conclusion supports
what you just described. Not enough power used to be able to
produce the power increases advertised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
i was thinking of using a switch acctived air compressor to force more air into the intake system.....that thing looks like it would help in bring in more air when their is not enuff air around the car....expample......when first taking off......that eram is like a vacum..sucking more air.........i would say to get it but just like waht walien said it doesnt work......
________
iolite vaporizer review
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
Well, I got one of these suckers off of ebay for 10 bucks so LOL ill let you all know how it goes. What i'm really interested in is the lower end performance, like when you first take off. I don't see how this thing could help in the higher end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845789374

check this guys "scientific explanation" out..

103CFM (rated fan)

"Now we plug the numbers in:
CFM = (6800 * 0.5 * 110 * .80) / 1728

this comes out to: 173.148148148... CFM

THATS RIGHT! THIS FAN WILL ADD 59% OF YOUR EXSISTING POWER TO YOUR ENGINE. Lets say your integra has 180 hp. THIS WILL UP THE HP TO 286 HP!!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Hahahahhahaha...103 CFM.....

what's THAT motor intended for........ONE cylinder?
What's that choad's idea....you should buy EIGHT of
them maybe?:rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top