TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a setup that will eliminate all my cats, i have the 95 4.6 and im rebuilding top half of motor. i want to still run single pipe all the way back but i cant find anyone to make me the same setup without cats. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The reason they won't do it is that it is illegal to remove them. It is not illegal for them to run pipe without putting on cats. Try removing them yourself and just having them run new pipe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That might be a state to state type of law, I don't know. In Illinois, we were told (8 years ago) a car that had a convertor from the factory had to leave the shop with a convertor on it if we did ANY exaust work. This was a Midas and they were pretty uptight about that stuff. Try a mom & pop shop and remember, cash is king. If they don't issue a recipt they never did it haha.

Lorne

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
actually legallly even if a shop removes a off road exhaust to say pull a tranny they cannot replace the exhaust system after the work without installing a convertor(s) before it leaves the shop. but some shops really dont follow along

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
There's your answer, Cash is King, No Reciepts, and the less law abiding the shop owner is the better...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have the front part of the exhaust off from where it conects to the exhaust manifolds to just after the third cat. im just wondering if it would be possible to take that piece to a shop and have them cut the cats off and replace with pipe? and if i did have to punch out the cats how do i do that? they seem to be on an awkward angle and as for the third cat (y-pipe) how would i tackle that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why do you want to eliminate your cats? Just get some high flow cats. I don't even think that they are that great of a restriction.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the one on the drivers side looks pretty clogged and i want a better sound from my exhaust. i have flowmaster original 40's on the car and i know if i take the cats off it will really give it that good rumble.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the one on the drivers side looks pretty clogged and i want a better sound from my exhaust. i have flowmaster original 40's on the car and i know if i take the cats off it will really give it that good rumble.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
when i did my engine install, i just cut the downtubes off behind all the cats but before the resonator. called a shop to see if they'd run pipe w/o cats. they said they will not. drove to the same shop. they did it w/o a problem. they just cant tell you that because there is like a 10,000 dollar fine. at least thats what i was told. so just drive to a shop and ask. they'll tell you no on the phone everytime.

·
Registered
367 Posts
thats what i did to my exhaust, i took the cats off, brought it into the exhaust shop they ran all the pipe, told me that as long as i take them off they'd do the exhaust they can't get in trouble for that i could though, but here in iowa we dont have to worry about much. dont have state inspections

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
just gut them if you want. Just go to home depot and find some angled tools to get at the rough angles.

·
Registered
414 Posts
just gut them if you want. Just go to home depot and find some angled tools to get at the rough angles.
I just gutted the two up top, put them back in place for 'legal looks' and removed the resonator from the middle. Easy, far cheaper than high flow cats and even those will still clog up at some point in time. Had some on my stang, hit some water..and that was all she wrote.

·
5,650 Posts
Theoretically all cats should last forever, but because there are always rich/lean running conditions (even for less than a second before the PCM adjusts the A/F ratio) and eventual problems with a sensor or two (like a wearing oxygen sensor or dirty/faulty MAF), they will enivitably be destroyed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how did you gut them?, they seem almost impossible to get into

·
Registered
825 Posts
use a cut off tool and cut the shield off and then cut in in half the long way and cut that section off punch them out with a hammer and a pry bar weld the side back on and the heat shield. ware a dust mask too!

·
Registered
414 Posts
use a cut off tool and cut the shield off and then cut in in half the long way and cut that section off punch them out with a hammer and a pry bar weld the side back on and the heat shield. ware a dust mask too!
Thats about it. I undid the flange bolts and then cut the weld. Was not really all that hard and didnt take much time since I had access to a car lift.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i just used some angled tools and ti took the better half of a day to do it

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how can i ensure that the angles that the cats are on will be welded exactly where they need to be after i cut it off?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts