TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ok so this does not pertain to an mn12 platform car but I am a strong beleiver in seeking knowledge outside your own vehicle's niche interest group]

ok so I've searched and read up enough to fully understand that for all intensive purposes that I should just leave the evap system be but that doesnt soothe my interest in engineering/implementing a more dedicated solution.

so first off reasons I want it gone:
Its a purpose built car, not a street vehicle
Its one less thing being routed through my engine bay
Its one step closer to integrating a fuel cell
I have plans for where the stock canister is mounted and feel my efforts are better spent removing it as opposed to relocating it

issues I need help resolving:
1) emissions testing, I'll admit not researching this part of it, but can the evap sensors be turned off in the SCT tuning [pro racer package or not]. I'd like to be able to fake it to not throw a CEL but not neccissary.
2) fuel pressure relief... I'm confused if this is actually a function of the fuel evap canister or integrated into the fuel tank itself... and most suggestions I've seen on the topic seem to be backyard hacks [drilling a hole in your gas cap isnt my idea of a proper solution]
3) roll-over safety... I know the canisters other important function is to prevent fuel escaping during a 'this end up' scenerio. I know summit sells tip over valves. I guess I need so guidence on how this properly gets routed.

big thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
what car?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I removed that stupid thing a few months ago. That line that used to go from the tank to the canister- I cut it near the tank and was gonna run it up behind the fuel door, but didn't think about a tip-over valve. I'll find a way to make it work, and I'll let you know what I come up with. Doing this will vent the tank without drilling holes in your fuel fill cap, and as for that other queston...an SCT tune will take care of the Service Engine light.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Ok, first off I need to get a pet peeve of mine out of the way. The expression is "for all INTENTS AND PURPOSES" as in your intentions and the machine's designated function. I always hear people say intensive purposes, which doesn't make any sense and it drives me up the wall.

Anyway, moving on to answer your question. The EVAP system didn't exist before sealed fuel systems, and must exist when you do have a sealed fuel system. It collects fuel vapors that previously would have been vented to the atmosphere. The solution to this is actually pretty simple: vent the gas tank to the atmosphere. This can be accomplished by either cutting the evap line on top of the tank, or if you are worried about fuel spillage in case of a rollover, you can block that line off and simply remove your gas cap (or drill a hole through the center of it so it doesn't seal). The pressures we are talking about in the evap system are extremely low, like half-a-PSI max, so a vent anywhere in the system will solve the problem. For the evap controlls in the computer, I'm fairly certain they can be shut off; I don't see why they wouldn't be, its just another function in the computer. After that, its just a matter of removing all the components of the evap system and blocking the vacuum port that it was going in through.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what car?
99 cougar, but also for the towncar which is officially in the on deck circle [although thats going to be a much more expensive build]. 2 fun sleeper cars you probably wouldnt give a second look at.

The expression is "for all INTENTS AND PURPOSES"
:( damn your right and I knew better.

thanks guys, that fills in some holes in my knowledge base and enforces others

1 - 6 of 6 Posts