TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got an exhaust upgrade done today. i had an x pipe done with my flowmaster 40s and my resonater taken out. it sounds good . but the front 2 cats were left on because of the sensors. i was wondering is it worth that 50 to 100 bucks to get mil eliminator to get those cats removed. will i get a noticable hp increase. thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm sure other, more experienced people will help out, but here's my thoughts.

If you have alot of miles on your car and the cats are original, they are most likely partially clogged by now and definately need to be removed/replaced so that you will get the most out of your upgrade.

OPTIONS:
Remove cats and test to see if you get a CEL. On my 95 Cougar, I did this and no problems yet. Don't know if it's the older computers or if the back 02s are so clogged that they don't function. But it works!

Replace cats with high flow. I would do a search for best brand.

If you have plans to get a custom chip or tune, have the back 02 functions deleted then.

When doing my research on mil eliminators, I found a couple of people saying that they had issues with them. I think one said his failed after a short time and another said they just didn't work on his car. So I was iffy about using them. But don't take this as gospel though.

That should be enough to get you thinking. Hopefully others will chime in for you.

Rob

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
MIL eliminators are hit and miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I still have cats on my car, but 2 of the other OK Chapter members didn't. Both were '95 TBirds. One got the check engine light, one didn't. I would say just try unplugging them and see what happens also, and skip the MIL eliminators until you can get a custom chip which disables the rear O2 sensors.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the info. i am getting a custom chip done this summer when i upgrade my torque convt. and gears. so thats what ill do. i never thought about that thanks guys it sounds pretty good know

Bryan

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you are interested in any exhaust stuff, go find performancepeddler on ebaystores. He will get you the best deal on anything exhasut related. I went to Magnaflow.com and got part numbers for 2 cats and emailed it to him. He got $88 bucks shipped for both :headbang: I just got a Magnaflow y pipe from him for $25 shipped

1 - 5 of 5 Posts