·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emergency Crews Respond To Fatal Crash At California Speedway
Second Person Hospitalized After Crash

POSTED: 3:23 pm PDT June 2, 2005
UPDATED: 5:16 pm PDT June 2, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- Two people were killed Thursday in a crash at California Speedway in Fontana.

A private car club was renting the speedway at the time of the crash.

A Porsche Carrera GT crashed into a retaining wall and came to rest on the track's infield. Authorities said two people were in the vehicle at the time of the crash.

One person was pronounced dead at the scene.

The second person in the car was transported by Mercy Air to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. That person later died.

The track is home to the California 500, Nextel Cup 500, the Toyota Indy 400 and other motorsport events. The 2-mile D-shaped oval surrounds an infield portion used for road courses and a 13-turn interior test circuit.

Private parties can rent the track to turn laps.
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html#

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
damn! that sucks, were they not wearing seatbelts or what?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was suppose to be down there today meeting up with my Jag family, but i had a final and couldn't make it. Apparently they came out of a turn to fast, overcorrected slid accros the grass and straight into the wall. I haven't seen the video yet, but it will give a better understanding of what happened.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I can't say it surprises me much that its a Carrera GT. Thats supposed to be one of the fastest, yet most difficult cars to control in the world.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That'll Buff right out. :D

Sorry couldnt resist. I'm such a bad person.

But, If I were to die in a car like that I would at least want to be the driver.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
AverageJoe said:
I can't say it surprises me much that its a Carrera GT. Thats supposed to be one of the fastest, yet most difficult cars to control in the world.
Really?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
One post mentioned that someone pulled out on the track in the 150+mph zone and the GT driver crashed when trying to avoid it. Seems like it could possibly be the track and/or organizer's lack of planning that led to the crash.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ouch that sucks big time. I cant imagine what it would be like to hit a wall at 150mph.

Theres a video of the crash? Where is it?

Shane

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
weird. I had a dream about something like that last night during an early evening nap. Dreamt that I was, for some reaso, driving at breakneck speeds and came up an incline that had a slight left hand curve on it. Lost traction at the apex of the hill and slid into a wall. Seriously. I'm not making it up.

Edit: Crap. Just read the article. Those guys were from down here. Probably not hearing anything about it because the track is in LA.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That's very sad. At first I thought, great, another amature driver thinking he can be a racecar driver. But apparently that owner knew his car real well and was a good driver and person. Anyone to have a car that cost $600k+ and still posts on boards like these with people having $40k cars and friendly to all has to be a good guy.

There is a video because the numbers you see on some of the pics are most likely timecode on digital forms of video. I love seeing crash videos as much as the next but I really don't care to see this one just out of respect. You know if it leaks out at all idiots will be watching it and laughing or whatever and that is just not right.

Reminder to all, be careful driving, even on a track. I do wonder though with a car that much if he had insurance that covered the car on the track. Many insurance companies wont cover a car when it is on racing, legal or not.

:angel2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts