TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
does the pedal still move when pressed down? More than likely your rear brakes just need adjusting if everything else in the system is fine. Unless the cable is broken.

Jay

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Disc or drum rears? Any more specifics other than "it don't work"?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drums in rear. and any more specifics..nope. I press it down and it does nothing. If i leave the car in nuetral it will just start to roll away.

"does the pedal move when pressed down"..what do you mean? It stays locked down and then i have to push it farther down to release it, it seems to be working like it use to (as far as the function of the pedal) but it just doesn't work.

thanks guys

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
You need new brake shoes .

When was the last time you replaced them ?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Three things I can think of as possibilities, the brake shoes need to be adjusted, or replaced, or the p-brake cable needs to be adjusted.

Are the drums on these cars self adjusting when the brakes are used in reverse? Thats the way they were in the old days, I haven't cracked open a drum (front or rear) in years.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, they have self adjusters, you press and release the normal service brakes while backing up and you should hear a click. I would try that, but not too many times because if you have to take off the drum to do the shoes then you will have to back them off first (which isn't hard, but isn't as easy as not full expanding the shoes).

If adjusting them doesn't help, I would then watch to see that the cable works by looking at it and having someone put on the parking brake. Then I would worry about the shoes. I don't seem to have the info on adjusting the cable for a 94, I don't know if it is like my 89 (with drums) or my 97 with discs or now.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. Always go cheapest/easiest to priciest/hardest till its fixed.

(buying and replacing parts, only to find it was a simple adjustment, can really suck!)

·
It is nice
885 Posts
yea... most likely you will find if you open the drums the pads will still look pretty good. The self adjuster is kinda crap and often its better to just adjust them manually with a screwdriver every couple months. I think there is a tool to move the little wheel. You could try to replace that part which might help also, but first try to adjust them manually or bring it somewhere won;t be more than $10 to adjust. The cable is probably off some too so the emergency brake still might feel loose (slack in wire)but the brakes themselves should feel better if adjusted outward more. You should get the cable adjusted too if you can. My 91 I replaced everything and the damn wheel still didn't self-adjust, dunno why. good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too have an ebrake that won't work right. Mine does apply the brakes but it doesn't stay locked down as it should.....which part of the system does the locking??

·
Registered
64 Posts
The ratchet wheel is inside the car, near the top of the pedal arm. The round-ended bar you can see sticking out just below the wheel is the manual release lever. A spring connects this lever to a pawl that engages the ratchet teeth. This spring holds the pawl into any one of several teeth, depending on how hard the brake is applied.

Pushing the pedal father down when the brake is set, or pushing on the release lever by hand, releases the spring tension and frees the pawl from the ratchet wheel. The wheel can then turn and let the tension off the cable that pulls the brake shoes against the drums. I'd take the whole pedal assembly out--easier to see exactly what's wrong. Sounds like on your car, the spring may be either detached or missing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts