TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in mass that has a 3.8 bird....has anyone had trouble passing emissions when they put a new exhaust on? I ask because the car has three cats, so it makes me think that this is a very dirty motor, and if I put high flow cats with headers, will it pass? or has yours? thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't have a 3.8, I have a 4.6 DOHC. But I live in ma and I also had three cats. I took one off (third one) and I still pass with slying colors. If I were you I would look at the last inspection sheet you have from when they put it on the rollers and look at the numbers your car put out and the limits. If you can multipy each of your previous numbers by 3 you are probably very safe to still be within the limit w/o the cat. This is just a guess. I know mine ran VERY clean before, it is dirtier now but still very far within limit.

So, check you old sheets and see how close you were before.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
No problem here. Dynomax cat back with a Magnaflow resonator. You already have factory headers on the car, so you can save money there. If in doubt, I'm sure you change the plugs and wires. The 4.6 cars have 3 cats also.

Check out the Mass chapter and see what's happening! :D Drop me a line with member info.

Joe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
yea i'm curious to know also on if it will pass. i have a '93 3.8 from wilmington, ma and i just put on a magnaflow midbody muffler bout 2 weeks ago, stock cats and headers. and i was looking into highflow cats later on.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i have a 93 3.8L. i passed with no resonator, and two flowmaster original 40's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the third cat is not a cat but a restonator. I just replaced all my cats with oem replacements and the two coming from the headers are cats and then they come to one free flowing resonator.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well I can't say anything about birds, but on my mark there was a thid cat, no resonator. I know for a fact non lsc marks have a resonator behind the third cat but I didn't and it was all factory. I have pics of the third cat too.......so incredibly restrictive. But it's all gone now :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's odd, because when I removed my header-muffler assembly there were two cats and a resonator. I could be wrong, but is a catalytic converter not something that converts the harmful emission to releasable gases? Maybe I mistook the cat for a resonator but I could see straight through it and it looked like it acted as a resonator. Also with the replacement it was a resonator not a third cat. Hmmm...dunno

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
kurzjunge,

Your car only came with 2 cats. I believe the 95's and up came with three. Mine has 3 cats and a resonator, which has been replaced with a Magnaflow.

You from Lawrence, MA? If you are, welcome!

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nah sorry bud, I'm from Lawrence, NJ.

·
Registered
122 Posts
you can get high flow cats that are as clean if not cleaner than fact cats. Check out Lou's custom exhaust in Reading, Brockton or Plymouth they do it all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts