TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy (who hates Fords) was giving me a bunch of horror stories on emission failures. If I go true dual with just the downpipe cats, will I fail emissions? I live in PA around Philly by the way.

·
Registered
903 Posts
V8Cougar, I'm an emissions inspector here in Cumberland County, PA. Does the county your in require a Dyno test w/ the sniffers, or just the OBDII (or in your case, the visual inspection)?

Let me know, and if your not sure, just let me know what county your car is registered in and I'll see what I can dig up for ya.

Brandon

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is registered in Bucks County, and I think its dyno testing around here, but I'm not sure. The car is a 1994 Cougar XR7 with a 4.6 V8. Thanks alot.

·
5,650 Posts
As far as emissions content, some say it will pass and some say it won't. Visually it won't pass if the inspectors know what should be there. Will the first 2 cats be enough? I think so as long as the engine is running as it should be. I'll find out in about 2 months, and I'm here in CA so if I pass, this issue will be set to rest.

·
Registered
255 Posts
well i know in ny 95 or lower they dont do emmissions

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am in Montgomery County and they do the OBDII hookup if possible. No sniffers then. However there is a visual inspection of the emissions equipment as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
visual would be your only weak spot. try to find some cats that are cheap to use every year, you know

·
Registered
903 Posts
From PA's Emissions Webside:

Emission Test Results

Note: Vehicle emission tests are currently required in Bucks county.

County: Bucks
Year: 1994
Vehicle: Car
Tests: Dynamometer, Visual Check and Gas Cap Check
Note: Brand-new vehicles and vehicles driven under 5000 miles annually may qualify for an exemption sticker. Ask your service provider for more details.

Disclaimer: Gasoline-powered motor vehicles with a model year of 1975 and newer with a GVWR of 9,000 pounds or less and registered in an I/M county or region are subject to an emission inspection. Actual test requirements based on make and model, drive system, vehicle weight, etc. The regulations in Title 67 Pa. Code, Chapter 177 shall determine the test type for any individual vehicle.

If it was ME, and it passed the dyno, and had 2 cats, I'd probly let it go. We have an old bronco that comes into work w/ headers, true duals, and has a cat on each, and the state told us that "As long as an attempt was made to put the cats on as close to factory, let it go" So I'd pretty much take that as, well as long as it has them on there, its good. I guess technically though, they could fail you, but then a call to the state might clear things up.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
255 Posts
putnam county

·
Registered
284 Posts
From what I've read, in some states, if the car passes the sniffer and isn't throwing any codes, it's good. However in others, like California, they have a visual inspection, and if the exhaust is anything other than stock, you fail. So it's best to check the local laws and see what's legal in your area before getting any work done.

I've heard some real horror stories in California though. Guys in stock STi's getting pulled over for "illegal modifications" such as large exhaust tips and blue radiator hoses, both of which come stock on the car. The way I get it is, that in California, if you've done any visible modifcations to the car, you're busted.

On a different note, Geico published an article for parents about how to tell if their kids are street racing a few years ago. It stated that, if any aftermarket equipment is found on a Geico-insured car when it's pulled over, Geico declares it a "street racer", and voids their coverage.

P.S. What's the current law here in Illinois?

·
5,650 Posts
Here in CA, if you're not doing anything that would get you pulled over, you probably aren't going to have trouble. I've had my 3rd cat gone for over a year now with my dual exhaust (came single from factory), and I've never had any problems. Then again, I don't speed or change lanes radically or do anything to grab unwanted attention. If the car is obnoxiously loud or lit up like it ain't supposed to be, you'll be fine unless the cops are really lookin' for something to do or you are getting busted for something else. Then they'll probably add on to the tab because they can and you're pulled over anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
AtomicQtip said:
This is very off topic but you live very close to me, i live about 15 minutes from philly in NJ.
Nothing major...yet. Im lacking in the money department. You know of any good exhaust shops in the area?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts