TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday night i was drifting down a twisty road and I went too far and the open diff. caught and i went the wrong way and slammed into a ditch and centered out. I had a friend pull me out. Now After a day or two the car idles kind of strange, it will idle at around 800rpm then jump up to 1200 and come back down to 800. It does this the entire time the car is in P and idling. It will also do the same in D. Ive reset the computer, and had it checked for codes, and its still all the same idling. Ive also Carefully cleaned the MAF and cleaned out the Throttlebody a week or so before.

BTW, nothing is messed up under the car, or bent/broken anywhere. So maybe its just a concidence but i'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
take the iac off and clean it out, if that doesnt work, the IAC itself may be bad. That'd be my best guess for you.
-Thomas

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thomas said:
take the iac off and clean it out, if that doesnt work, the IAC itself may be bad. That'd be my best guess for you.
-Thomas
I was thinking that from what ive read on the forums, but I'm not 100% sure what it is. Is it the little canister looking thing on the top of my TB thats held on with two bolts and has a little rubber gasket under it?

EDIT: heres a pic of what I'm talking about

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Yes that is your IAC.

·
8,978 Posts
and the gasket is paper :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Birdman16 said:

I was thinking that from what ive read on the forums, but I'm not 100% sure what it is. Is it the little canister looking thing on the top of my TB thats held on with two bolts and has a little rubber gasket under it?

EDIT: heres a pic of what I'm talking about

Geez, and I thought my engine bay was clean:(

I am on the bandwagon of needing to clean my IAC...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
mastarecoil said:
Your car ended up in a ditch and it looks 10x cleaner than mine.:(
the outside of the car is all covered in mud and dirt, and the interrior needs cleaned up and finished(rear seat delete and carpet the sub box) the only thing thats clean in teh car is the engine/engine bay

its hard to believe that engine has 106k miles on it and its still running stong and its that clean. :) but it helps stay clean because I have a pressure washer here so i can clean it while the engine is cool so i dont warp anything. I do this about 1-2 times a month when i clean my car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, that did it, I cleaned out the IAC, then the TB and MAF once more, reset the computer and its running great now.

·
8,978 Posts
glad to hear it. Also, seeing as how you powerwash your car pretty often, make sure you cover all the elctrical with plastic sacks and duct tape if you don't already.
-Thomas

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
check the motor mounts and plug wires and make sure you didnt pinch any wires either . i had been forced off the road with my 1990 3.8 cougar and i did the smae thing , but smacked the subframe when it went off the road it ripped the lh mount in two . and cut 3 of the plug wires .

·
8,978 Posts
Birdman16 said:
well, that did it, I cleaned out the IAC, then the TB and MAF once more, reset the computer and its running great now.
he fixed it ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts