TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is back flushing the engine recommended? I was under the impression that you just disconnected the upper/lower radiator hosed and removed the thermostat. then you just stick a hose in to where the thermostat goes. if this is wrong pls feel free to add any corrections to my misguidedness. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found empty crack vials in the back seat and thus far there is little evidence to support it being well maintained. I redid the entire front suspension, and it still has cooling issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you're gonna have a long winding road to get that car to be 100% reliable....

In this case, I would suggest flushing the coolant with the prestone flush kit. Normally this isn't a wise choice because tap water will leave minerals that will clog up your radiator (if it isn't mostly clogged already).

Then, I'd run the prestone superflush coolant additive with distilled water only to help clean out mineral deposits. Run for a few days, it will really clean crud out, including the inside of the coolant reservoir. Depending on how bad the water comes out during draining, you may want to run a second superflush bottle with some more distilled water for a few more days. Then do two full drains on the coolant system with distilled water (catching the drift about distilled water?) to get the superflush cleaner out of there. Once that is out of there, you can add in 50% prestone green antifreeze and 50% distilled water. All in all, you'll need like 10gal of distilled water when it's all said and done.

If that doesn't solve your cooling issues, there could be irreparable damage to your water pump and radiator. In which case you'll need to replace them both. If that doesn't solve cooling issues, there could be irreparable damage to your engine block via rust blocking coolant passages within the block and/or heads. At this point you may as well get another car with less miles and less neglected because you'll need to replace the engine due to previous neglect.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
Mineralization from tap water takes time and heat. It won't crystallize out just running it thru. :)

As long as you're not going to leave it overnight or run it, it really shouldn't matter.

I'd open the plug on the side of the block before I flushed it; iirc, it's the only way to flush the 7-8 section of the head without pulling a freeze plug.

If its cooling system is badly neglected, look for the intake manifold gaskets to be eroded and leaking. Search, there's info. :(

BTW; I'd search that car heavily, take the carpet, stereo, console, etc. out and make sure there's nothing in it you're going to regret having later.

I have a buddy that trains police dogs; it's easy to get my cars checked after I buy one. (or consider buying one...)

That's the first rule of Being Sociable: Show up unexpected rarely enough that they're always glad to see you. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts