TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for two days now my car has ben missing and stalling!!! I have put a new fuel filter in....cleaned the mas air........checked around for any vaccum leaks. Still no luck.... so I am in the driveway checking it out because I barely get home after it stalled three times..... I have the mass air metter off to clean it and I attach it back up to the intake tube and not the box.....I have my friend start it and try to keep it running.... and it was BLOWING EXHAUST OUT THE INTAKE TUBE!!!Then i thought about it and I wiggled the crank sensor and it ran ok for about a sec and then started jumping and running like crap again!!!!! I would think my crank sensor would be the prob seeing as it is a key sensor in controling timing...... any other suggestions/advice?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it was stalling and blowing exhaust out the intake at like 3000 rpm and once you would let it idle it jusyt died

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
If you noticed a change in the way the engine ran by wiggling on the crank sensor, then maybe you should take a look at that. Try cleaning the connector with some electrical contact spray cleaner. Available at Wal-mart or Auto parts stores.

Also, try running it with the maf sensor unplugged.

Has the Check Engine Light come on yet?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Is the green tube connected to the EGR pulling vacuum? If it is then the EGR valve should be opening, allowing exhaust into the intake manifold... but still it shouldnt be coming out the intake tube. If you pull the green tube off the EGR and theres no vacuum, then thats not it. Is it popping and backfiring?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-Justin....no coolant leaking
-Rolling Thunder.....tried cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner.......still does same thing
Tom- It is backfiring BAD!!!!

Anyway I have a new crank sensor that I never put in my old now parted out 96 sport so i am gonna put that in and then see if that helps

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also sprayed the IAC out with carb clean.......no help......now I did unplug the mafs and drive it and it is alot better....it won't die with it unplugged but still hesitates pretty bad!!!! can anyone shed some light on me!!!

-Derrick-

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
No Check Engine Light yet? It might come on when you dis-connect the MAF.

Could be your MAF is bad.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah i was there for the massive exahsut puff out of the intake.....that was a bit scary b/c it steadyily shot it out of the intake.....its geting a new ckp.....could it be a combonation of sensors being off....like the ckp acitng up....the iac a smidge dirtyer then it should be....and the maf having some carb cleaner film on it?....b/c other then that seems like the spark plug fired on an intake stroke b/c the revs were up when it shot out of the intake....but they droped and i shut the car off

·
Registered
212 Posts
From what I understand the car should run w/o the MAF you will go into a precal mode and loose power. To me it sounds like you have a timing or EGR problem.

Check the harmonic balancer. I read in other posts that it becomes free when the damper rubber disentegrates causeing the crank sensor to get dorked.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
It will run better with the MAF unplugged, but it will hesitate when going from a standing stop, if you have a bad MAF.

That is why I maintain you could have a bad MAF.

Ps. Don't drive it too much with the MAF unplug. It runs a lot richer, and will eventually ruin your cats.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I went and ordered a new MAF sensor seeing as it dies when the maf is pluged in and when it's not it can run just not the smoothest......so I will have a new MAF sensor tomorrow and ill see what happens......I am really leaning towards it being the MAF.

-Derrick-

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a whole new 80mm Lightning MAF housing and MAF sensor all for 93 bucks at adavnced auto. (very good deal! ) I was under the impression when I ordered it that it was just gonne be the sensor......well it came in one day, and it was the whole housing and sensor.....anyway I put her in fired it up....and guess what....
smooth as can be......thanks for all your help and suggestions guys.

-Derrick-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts