TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed on my 97 bird that my engine bay is a different color than the exterior. My exterior is Silver Frost, the engine bay is a sort of beige light gray, not metallic. It almost looks like the engine bay was painted after the exterior. Is this a normal thing for MN12's? As far as I know the silver frost is original because it looks too good to be a repaint but I do think the rear pass. quarter has been and you couldn't tell unless you look in the wheel well and see the layer under it, but it's also Silver Frost.

Basically, do MN12's or at least thunderbirds from 97 have different colored engine bays, or is this just a weird thing about my car?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Today I noticed on my 97 bird that my engine bay is a different color than the exterior. My exterior is Silver Frost, the engine bay is a sort of beige light gray, not metallic. It almost looks like the engine bay was painted after the exterior. Is this a normal thing for MN12's? As far as I know the silver frost is original because it looks too good to be a repaint but I do think the rear pass. quarter has been and you couldn't tell unless you look in the wheel well and see the layer under it, but it's also Silver Frost.

Basically, do MN12's or at least thunderbirds from 97 have different colored engine bays, or is this just a weird thing about my car?
I'm pretty sure they just painted the engine bays with base and no clear. The silver could have faded. Either that, or it's probably a repaint. It's a PITA to repaint under the hood, I'm prepping my car for that right now.

-Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,722 Posts
A lot of times, especially on cars with metallic paint, the underhood will actually have a different color than the outer panels. It will be a different paint code and everything. In these cases, the under hood area is actually painted before the rest of the car, not after.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
very difficult... and the reason I won't be changing the color of my car until I completely do an engine swap on it. When I do the engine swap I'll probably paint mine a nice Deep blue metallic color... possibly like Cobra R thunder's Car.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,788 Posts
My pearl white engine bay borders on yellow out of sunlight. Its normal, thefactory didnt intend for it look pretty, there isnt any clearcoat under there, and if you really look there are even places where the factory didnt fully cover the metal with paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts