TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you buy aftermarket engine block heaters and install them? Anyone ever done this? It would be nice for these Michigan winters rather than waiting 5+ minutes for my car to warm up.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ugh, its 90* here in NY, thats the last thing I want to think about.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I will bottle up every degree over 110 and store and send it to you when the time is right.

I dont' have a good answer for you. When I lived in Colorado, I had two freezeplugs that I removed and heater elements put in, a pad the battery sat on, one inline on the lower radiator hose, a magnetic heater on the oilpan, and one that had a fan that heated the interior.

It all didn't do much good, it still hated to start, the ignition would stick is start position (vicegrips/pliers used to get it back to just run), no heat for the first 55 minutes if the trip, engine turning over at 3 rpms on starter, etc.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
aftermarket ones you can go a few differant ways

Magnet heater these stick to your you pan and work ok

a Dipstick heater Easiest to use and works well for cold starts.

and a coolant heater ... Never used these

There are also freeze plug heaters as well but I have never used those.

Coolant heater would be the best to go in your case as you just want to decreae your cars warm up time and its not a cold start issue. FYI all these require 110 ac to use.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Go with the coolant heater, one designed for the lower radiator hose. They actually do help cold start up. it'll still take afew minutes for the car to warm up fully, but it'll save your battery and your bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts