TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
I have a really stupid question,

say you have a 75k mile 4.6 2v built to 300 bhp i.e, best cams, gutted the crappy stock y exhaust, pistons, the whole 9 yards. Then you add a 6 psi blower to the engine. How much life does your engine have left? And how much power are you gonna receive in the end?

Let me pull out my crystal ball...........
Answer is there is no way to know how long it will last you. 6psi is probably going to add 60- 75 at the crank

IF your bottom end is strong yet, and IF you have a safe tune, and IF you don't get greedy with the boost on the stock bottom end, and IF a lot of other things...it MIGHT last until the motor hits 200K or it may last 5K miles. Putting boost on the stock internals of a 4.6 is risky. Some people have luck with it like timb and some don't. I personally feel I am one who would not have the luck. So no boost until a motor's built. ANYTIME you add a power adder to your car, you run the rick of blowing something up. Whether it be 6 psi, 9 psi, 75 shot of nitrous, etc, etc. Just the name of the game.

Here's the deal with high mileage and boost (IMHO) oil, oil, oil. We all know that the valve stem seal have a tendency to start leaking with high mileage (althought 97 not as bad as 91 - 95's). And ANY oil introduced into the combustion chamber increases the tendency to ping. Then add boost on top of that and you're looking a potentially busted ring lands. :beek:

But if you're not burning any oil (i.e. maybe about 1/2 quart every 3K miles) you would probably be ok. But that just a "guess". :D

So a "good" tune for a new engine (with tight oil seals), may not cut it with an engine with a lot of miles. But with that said, 75K isn't really a lot with these engines... :thumbsup:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.