TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to clean my engine but should i worry about getting water in my oil? because i just changed the oil a week ago and i dont want to change it so soon again.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Not unless you're really careless.
It's a good idea to cover up certain components, such as the coils and the alternator. I like to take a plastic shopping bag and cover the components, then stuff the edges around underneath it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Pay a shop

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tx_Cat said:
Pay a shop
to clean the engine? all i wanted to know is if i would have to change the oil afterwards. which racecougar said i wont. im figuring the only shop i know to do it for me is a car wash an i think i could probably do a better job than they will.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
or you couls use some stuff called Orange Bright or something spray it on let it work in and spray it off with a hose. its just a degreaser. i never had any problems. just don't go nuts with the water and yes bag some stuff so it don't screw anything up

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
You read the tech article?

Distributor is main thing. I had my radiator hose get cut from a pulley a couple days ago, and I had coolant everywhere, on my battery and spraying into my alternator. On my gauge the battery was going down when it was wet and back up when drying off, but it has been fine ever since. Doesn't hurt to cover, though.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/engine/index.html#
1. Disconnect the battery cables.

2. Next, take some aluminum foil, it is a great tool for wrapping things.

3. Remove your air intake hose, and close off the now open throttle body with foil, and tape it there with duct tape.

4. Wrap the distributor with it, and the alternator (this is why we disconnect the battery...aluminum foil and hot wires do not mix).

5. Also, close off the air cleaner housing, where the intake hose was connected.
NOTE: If you have any openings on the engine(aftermarket breathers, things like that) close them off too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts