TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was just wondering, i have a 97 4.6L tbird, just a little background, and while idling it makes like a clicking sort of sound, its not loud, and when i give it a little gas you can hear it get faster but then it fades out after you give it so much throttle. just wondering what that might be or if its normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My car has the exact same noise, are you sure about the injectors my noise seems to go away when I put the the premium gas on it and when I put regular it comes back again. Anyone else know about this?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Octane level shouldn't make a difference in injector tick. Injector tick is nothing to worry about unless something else is going wrong to indicate it's sticking.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I spent 4 hours tracking mine down one day, from the inside it's an ever so faint tap/tick and after looking and looking I got near the injectors and found the same tap/tick

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweeeet thanks guys, that makes sense, because my car is recently starting to start a little harder idk if the injectors being bad has anything to do with it starting harder, i would assume so being the "injectors" haha but ill change em and see what happens, thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with that how hard would it be to replace those myself?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
its easy......do it first thing in the morning once since there will be no built up fuel pressure in the fuel rails.....or you can let the car run, and trip the inertia switch in the trunk, and let the motor die out, and you'll get the same result.........i'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is dirt/crud in the area where the injectors sit, so go a head and clean up that area real good, as you do not want any dust/particles falling down into the intake ports/cylinders......then undo the 7mm or 8mm studs that hold the fuel rails down to the intake manifold......unplug the injector connectors......place a lot of shop rags around that area because fuel will spill.......then just pull up on the fuel rails (one at a time of course), and some injectors will stay in the rail and come out of the manifold, and some will stay in the manifold.....then just swap in the new injectors

remember, you cannot put 'bigger' injectors at this time...they have to have the same flow rate as the originals, otherwise it'll cause a plethora of problems

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks, but what size are the stock injectors and why cant i use bigger injectors??

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
stock flow rate is 19 #/hr

in a nut shell, you cant use bigger injectors right now because the physical flow characteristics are programmed into your car's computer, and it would have no way of permanently compensating for the different flow characteristics without throwing other critical calculations off

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but my 4.6L has the *exact* same ticking symptoms. With the radio and HVAC turned off I hear the click at idle the loudest, like when I'm sitting at a red light.

I can hear it increase with engine RPM until I get moving, then I also hear the ticking when I'm coasting.

I'm pretty sure it's the injectors, I'm going to see if I can pinpoint that for sure. But my question is this Can you buy quieter OEM/Ford injectors?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm not ruling out lash adjusters but the oil has been changed on average every 1,600 miles for the last 8 years, maybe longer.

I used to have a mechanics stethoscope but don't know what happened to it. If I find it I could narrow down whether the tick is from the injectors or elsewhere...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I found my stethescope. It's too cold and late to do it now but now you have me worried it's the lash adjusters. I'll poke around tomorrow with my ear to different parts of the engine and see if I can't isolate the sound.

If the problem is lash adjusters, shouldn't the noise by louder at startup, because I don't have that issue?

Thx.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
only if you're lacking oil pressure at start-up. Are you? Normally at start-up the engine is idling higher than when at operating temp in gear. At this point, all we can do is speculate. It's up to you to actually start diagnosing the noise. Record a short video clip with your phone.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have the same ticking, which I have pinpointed to the injectors pulsing. Broke out the mechanics stethascope and probed everything and the ticking I hear is coming from the injectors alone. Nothing else is ticking or making any noise that it shouldnt.

I was actually looking to rebuild/clean them, especially being that my car sat for a while before I bought it, but there's a seller on ebay that has full sets of injectors that they do an untrasonic bath, reverse flushing, and install new filter, and they flow tested to match. So I think I might go that route......... $100 + $5 shipping isnt bad and they say they give a 'lifetime warranty' as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Great news. I poked around the engine and the noise coming from the injectors is the noise I hear inside the car. That's good news because I don't have to tear into the heads to fix what could have been lash adjusters.

It's odd in my case because I can hear the ticking more when I'm sitting in the car. But when I have the hood open the rest of the engine noise makes the ticking less noticeable. So I'm guessing that the sound insulation provides better sound dampening for lower pitched sounds.

So back to my original question, does someone (preferably Ford) make quieter injectors? Or do I just need to live with the ticking?

John, if you buy those injectors, please post back or even PM me if you find them quieter. In the meantime, I'll just turn the radio up louder LOL.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Our 96 Cougar had a ticking noise when getting on the throttle good. It ended up being the large nut from the EGR tube at the EGR valve was completely loose, causing a small exhaust leak.

Al

·
Registered
519 Posts
My 96 has loud injecters also. I'm on the 2nd motor and they both were noisy. I changed the fuel rail + injectors when I got the junkyard motor to swap. It is my fastest tbird of the 3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts