TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I roll in a 96 4.6l v8 t-bird. the coolant reservoir is alway boiling over and is hot and radiator fan? sensor? idk, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yes, check the fan.

i'd try a new pressure cap.

otherwise has this system been serviced,and the coolant in good shape? is the radiator and condenser clean out front? leaking elsewhere? Tstat working?

otherwise if theirs no dirt and junk plugging up the front of the radiator, its got clean coolant in it, not leaking, and the cap/Tstat is working, its possible the radiator is plugged and you may need to replace it. happens sometimes when the system is abused for too long or someone adds leak sealer.

i would run some Prestone Cleaner through the system first. it works wonders sometimes.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
A leak in the cooling system lowers the boiling point of coolant. Get it pressure tested if you can't see any leaks so you don't needlessly throw money away.

Went through this with my wife's Dodge. Flushed the system, replaced the hose clamps with worm-drive clamps, t-stat and radiator cap. Was due for all of that but didn't fix it. Eventually, I found a small crack in the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Just as a note - if you have a chain auto parts store that does the tool loaner program, most of them have radiator pressure testers. I'd use one of those cranked up to about 16 to 20 psi to see if I can find the leak.

RwP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts