TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In switching out the water pump on my 97 Cougar 3.8 I broke the top off a temp switch thats located in the coolant pipe elbow behind and above the AC compressor and to the left of the Tstat housing at the front of the motor. I thought it was the sender for the temp guage but thats still working fine and is operated by the sender located in the Tstat housing I assume? This other switch must be tied into the AC system since up to the minute I removed the water pump my AC was cold as crap and now the clutch wont even engage..........does this broken switch stop the AC compressor from engaging until it senses the coolant is warm enough or what? TIA........

·
5,650 Posts
When the coolant temp sensor is not giving the computer a signal, the computer will prevent the A/C from engaging because it defaults to protect the engine. Since it doesn't know if the engine is hot or cold, it assumes that it should do what it can to prevent overheating, and that includes preventing the A/C from engaging.

DO NOT drive around with that sensor broken or unplugged. You will cause damage to the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Chris............just found and bought the sensor at Advanced today........part #49347 AC coolant sensor switch $20.........will install ASAP and advise but thats most likely it........oh also, now my check engine soon light is also on........will see if light also goes out......stay posted..

UPDATE.........

new switch installed and I now have AC again, clutch engages perfectly and air is cold..........yeeehah...........of course check engine light did not go out and needs reset which I figured would happen..............any way to rest the CEL without a tool of sorts???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys............actually the fuel tank was pretty low so when I filled her up last night the light went out (it "may" have went out sooner and I never noticed) and has'nt come on since...........go figure.........I'm not knockin it tho........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts