TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and checked out a car and at first it cranked but did not start. Now, it will just click. I have tried hitting the starter but nothing. What are all the possibilities here.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
First off if it cranked I wouldn't have hit the starter. Second hitting the starter usually breaks it internally. Third if it was cranking but then started clicking instead of cranking before you hit it with a hammer the battery is likely dead.

Crank but no start is usually spark related. Are you getting spark? Have you tried unplugging and reconnecting the crankshaft position sensor located near the ac compressor?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I have tried hitting the starter but nothing. What are all the possibilities here.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but why the f*** did you do that? :rolleyes:
Anyways, definitely check the battery, then go from there.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
A click means the solenoid is getting enough current to engage, but either not enough current is reaching the starter to have it turn over (due to bad connections/wires/low volts), or the starter itself is bad.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be more specific my brother hit the starter while I tried to start it because it has worked many many times before in a click situation. Is it normal for the top end to sound like its grinding when the starter is dead? When it did crank it sounded god awful. I didn't buy it and I'm thinking if its just the starter I should have.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
If it made a grinding sound then I would first check the battery. A friend just recently had a no start issue on his 01 GT where it would make a nasty grinding noise when the key was turned; turned out to be a bad battery.

·
5,650 Posts
A click means the solenoid is getting enough current to engage, but either not enough current is reaching the starter to have it turn over (due to bad connections/wires/low volts), or the starter itself is bad.
Not necessarily. The solenoid needs a certain amount of current to thrust the drive gear forward enough to engage the ring gear. Low current on the solenoid's trigger wire will be enough to make it click as it moves the drive gear a little towards the flywheel, but it's not enough to have it fully engage and close the contacts for the starter motor itself.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Good to know Chris, thanks for correcting me on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts