TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 95 4.6 has a habit of dieing when stopped at a light for no apparent reason. It is extremely annoying to say the least. I can go for a week or so at a time with no problem, and then it will die several times in one day, or maybe once every other day, etc. It occurs in all weather conditions, A/C or heat on or off. I can not identify any common links between occurences. The car starts right up after it dies, but as I said before, it is very annoying.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions??????

Thanks

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's a long shot, but maybe you have debris in your gas tank or fuel filter? How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KINg Battery, alternator, and cables all replaced 2 summers ago.

master Will do

91 Twilight CEL Yes. Codes for insufficient egr flow and lean right bank. This problem predates the EGR flow code by about 4 years. I have cleaned the passage in the intake manifold and replaced the DPFE sensor. Man,,,that EGR is a MOTHER to get to!!! Havent tried to tackle that one yet.

SignofTheCat I've had the car for 6 years and this problem has been present the whole time. The fuel filter has been changed at least twice in that time. I've put approx. 90K on the car in six years. The odometer was stopped at 103K when I bought her, so she's right at 200K if not over. I wish I knew the actual mileage!! She runs like a top for the most part and I still get 23MPG consistently.

CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT!!!!!:D

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Had a similar problem in one of my old cars, turned out to be the fuel pump.

Joe

·
Registered
100 Posts
91 Twilight CEL Yes. Codes for insufficient egr flow and lean right bank. This problem predates the EGR flow code by about 4 years. I have cleaned the passage in the intake manifold and replaced the DPFE sensor. Man,,,that EGR is a
A fuel pressure test would indicate whether it was a fuel pump or not. The fact that it has gone soooo long without failing, though, makes me shy away from the fuel pump. Plus, if it was leaning out, it would probably lean out both banks of cylinders.

EGR could cause a dying problem... it just seems that you would have more of a running problem associated if that was the cause. Have you tested the vacuum? A vacuum leak (anywhere, but an EGR that is stuck open can cause one as well) could be a problem, which would explain the lean code.

I still think that a faulty IAC could cause problems for you as well. You may try tapping on that to see if it changes anything.

I really do recommend checking the vacuum, though.

What is your idle speed, btw?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What were the code numbers that were associated with the CEL or SES light? Has it had the lean code since you have owned the car? Lean on only one bank would point to a problem that only affects one bank of cylinders i.e. injectors, O2 sensors etc.. It determines this by comparing the O2 sensor readings for that bank to what it expects to see in a engine that is running optimally and then determines if they are outside the allowable parameters(% rich/lean from optimal). Do you have access to a scan tool that can monitor the datastream and access failure records(the datastream info that the computer stores when a code is set)? If so that would help a bunch in narrowing down your problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts