TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Been a long time since I was here. I finally ran into a problem that im completely stumped on but I have found out some information and I would like to ask for your help.

Heres the rundown on what has been going on. I had a 96 Cougar 4.6L PI Swap and the past winter rotted out the body of the car. (I live in Toronto) and there was a whole bunch of minor things that were wrong with it. I found a 97 Cougar in Florida and purchased it because the owner couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. All I was able to find out about the 97 is that it was throwing codes P0155 and P0161. When i would drive it it would smell real bad and puff black smoke if i gave it a significant amount of gas. I read up on these codes and it has something to do with the oxygen sensors, the previous owner replaced all 4 02 sensors on his car. He was told it could be the ECU or the wiring harness.

So recently I just decided to take the engine and harness from my 96 and place it in my 97. I know my 96 was ok because I had no check engine lights and I passed my emission test no problem. It was running great. When i put my 96 Engine and harness in my 97 It didn't sent any signal to all 4 of the oxygen sensors.

Is it safe to say that the ECU needs replacing? I still have my 96 ECU that i could swap in the 97 and see.

Thanks
Kyle

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Is it safe to say that the ECU needs replacing? I still have my 96 ECU that i could swap in the 97 and see.

Thanks
Kyle
Yes.

There are apparently a lot of bad 97 EECs.

What code is yours?

The code is on a small white sticker, under the hood on the passenger side, where the rubber trim behind the engine meets the fender. :) You may have to move the rubber a bit to see it.

It is probably FTEn, where n is 1 to 3. :)

I have a bad one; a buddy I work with is trying my spare to see if his is bad.

If you look thru posts, the 94-95 had bad ones, and the 97s.

A 96 eec for a 97 is a good bet, I have two with no issues, and I haven't seen many complaints...

A 96 eec wont work for a 94-95, it's apparently too different. (for people who actually use search, lol.)

I'm not absolutely positive that any year is better or worse than any other year; the reports we see are very subjective, and rarely conclusively concluded.

But personal experience seems to tend that way, lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I will pop this sucker in, It says MBE3 on it. I gotta check what the 97 says on it tomorrow. I don't have it at my house. I suspected the ECU because what are the chances that two harness' are both bad, and i know for a fact my 96 Harness was good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, so I got the car running. I used my 96 harness in the 97 car. The only wire that i needed to get at was the alternator wire under the fuse block under the hood. it had to be jumped to work. I also used the 96 ECM in the 97 and all all the codes went away. It runs perfect now.

Thanks for all your help again guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts