TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to prevent the knock that occurs for a few seconds after I start the car right after an oil change? I can't imagine it is too good for the engine, even though it only has to go through this once every 3-4000 miles.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Fill the oil filter with oil before install.

But aside from priming each time like 486 said, no.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Pull the ecm fuse and crank it over a couple of times.

Will reset the computer too...

~MG~

·
Banned
377 Posts
i too used to worry about this....priming the oil filter will do.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
But trying to install a fluid filled oil filter on a 4.6 in our cars is practicly asking for a shot in the mouth! (of oil that is...)

~MG~

·
5,650 Posts
Pull the ecm fuse and crank it over a couple of times.

Will reset the computer too...

~MG~
I wouldn't recommend the ECM fuse as it will have to relearn its adaptive strategy all over again. The fuel pump fuse would be a better choice IMO if you wanted to crank it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Agreed.

~MG~

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Last time I changed the oil, I filled the filter about half way, and it dramatically helped with the knocking upon the first startup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try filling the filter with oil first. Thankfully I have it easier than the 4.6 guys, lol. Rod, how much does one of those things cost?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Rod, how much does one of those things cost?
I probably have about $300 in my accumulator setup. But considering the $$ in the engine, being able to prime the engine before every fire-up was worth it to me.

-Rod

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I don't think a cost-benefit analysis would come out in favor of me getting one of those for a mostly stock engine that just rolled over 128,000 miles, lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another quick question. As I mentioned earlier, my engine just rolled over 128,000 miles. I have been reading a lot lately about 5w30 vs. 10w30. I usually run 10w30, but I wonder if I am running too heavy of a weight for the winter (central Indiana). Any suggestions would be helpful. And if I did switch to 5w30, would it be ok for year-round use? I use Pennzoil Platinum with a Motorcraft filter, just for reference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your input. I pre-filled the filter before putting it back on, and that really helped the knock. Chris, I decided to stick with 10w30 since it is starting to get warmer, and because my engine is getting up there in miles, so internal tolerances within the cylinder bores might not be as tight as before. With 128,750 miles on her, I kinda worry about running a lighter oil.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Another quick question. As I mentioned earlier, my engine just rolled over 128,000 miles. I have been reading a lot lately about 5w30 vs. 10w30. I usually run 10w30, but I wonder if I am running too heavy of a weight for the winter (central Indiana). Any suggestions would be helpful. And if I did switch to 5w30, would it be ok for year-round use? I use Pennzoil Platinum with a Motorcraft filter, just for reference.

Does it really matter if it knocks a few times at first start after a chance? This car above is at 125k, I put 230k on another 4.6 in a Marq, and many others have put many miles on these motors. ALl the cars in the world, never heard this being a issue for any of them. This is one I would not worry about.

·
Banned
198 Posts
The 5-30 Is The Problem

IT LETS THE BEARUNGS WEAR MUCH SOONER:eek: WAS DONE FOR BETTER MILEAGE:mad: I USE 15-40 ALSO SOME LUKAS ADDITIVE WILL KEEP THE BEARINGS COATED:D AS THE HOT OIL WILL DRAIN OFF:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts