TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea, my car is so loud that I can not hear engine knock,so I bought one of those stethoscopes and I am going to run an extention to the block to hear the detonation as I drive. What do you guys think.

P.S. sorry about the spelling!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good idea. This idea helped me to identify a bad lifter, so I didn't have to replace them all :).

An idea I have been toying with is to install a knock sensor and wire it to an LED on the dash, that way when there is a lower end noise I can reconize it from the cockpit.

Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the knock sesors work, but I like the idea of first hand information.Maybe use the machanical sensor(stethiscope) to tune the electronic unit. Then if something changes ie, bad gas you could trust it .They are very touchy and tend to trip a lot from what I have heard.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't know where they got it or how much it cost being it was probably 20 years old, but at the Ford shop where I used to work we had a system of 6 sensors connected to a box. The wires were about 10 or 12 feet long and had velcro attaching strips every couple of feet. You could very effectively find where any NVH was coming from by listening to a stethoscope plugged into this box and switching to any one of the six channels while you were driving down the road. Don't remember exactly what it is called but it worked beautifully.

Michael

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any sugestions on where to attach my probe to the block,I was thinking of the engine mount to block bolt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the aftermarket units, has anybody used one of them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts